300 RCM

Tac-O

Anyone shooting one of these? How do you like it? What kind of loads are you shooting out of it?

It's a shame the cartridge seems mostly dead. I started reading about it recently and wish it would have became more popular. 70gr case capacity with a good geometry... I mean that's basically a short action '06 that would be more efficient and have a couple extra grains capacity.

I don't think you'd actually need to use magnum primers!

the only issue will be brass and it wont be easy to find. think 30-6.5 PRC. i have the parts but life got in the way so it looks like spring before it is finished. 68.8 case capacity and multiple brass manufactures. in my quickload it looks like it will beat the 06 but not by much.

i did do a 30-6.8 WESTERN and that was a real surprise. 215 bergers at 2930 in a 26" barrel with RL-26 and fireformed ADG 7saum brass

Ah a 30-6.8W sounds fun!

Yea there's no way I'd be interested in owning one considering the hard to get brass and dies. Might as well do a wildcat.

Just wondered if anyone has kept it in their gunsafe!

the beauty of the 6.8 is it is just a shortened WSM case so you can just run a WSM reamer in short and cut .085 off the off the shelf dies. No custom or special order dies.
i did a 6.5 and a 30 the easiest wildcats to do and a decent improvement over the standard SAUM case

the beauty of the 6.8 is it is just a shortened WSM case so you can just run a WSM reamer in short and cut .085 off the off the shelf dies. No custom or special order dies.
i did a 6.5 and a 30 the easiest wildcats to do and a decent improvement over the standard SAUM case

Shoot. Those are great ideas! Basically a wildcat but without some of the issues of one.

What powder bullet combos seemed to work best in the 30? Try any standard primer loads?

300 Ruger compact magnum? I've been shooting my Ruger Hawkeye with a 22" barrel and 180 accubonds at 2925 FPS with 59.2 gr of HV100. There's a good pop to it but nothing major without a brake. Less than a 300 wsm and a little more than a 30-06. The gun is a bit heavy with a 3-15 PST GEN 2 and steel Ruger rings. I settled on 1" groups at 200 yds, I got it more for a thick woody area here in Hawaii for axis deer where a short rifle with enough power behind it to take big bucks. The weight actually helped with recoil and aiming in windy conditions. Hornady brass was easy to find as not much fans for the 300 RCM but the accubonds on the other hand is difficult. I tried lighter bullets and heavier but found the best balance with speed and accuracy with the 180's with my rifle. I'm very happy with it.