.300 rcm

bigairbear

Anyone have any experience with the new 20" Ruger Hawkeye in .300 rcm? I have a 3-9x Zeiss and am really interested in the rifle. Probably won't be used past 300 yards so that part isn't a big deal. I like the idea of having magnum power in such a small, tough package and not having to reload for it since Hornady and Ruger are teamed up and you can get decent ammo for $32.

My hunting partner has a Christensen rifle chambered in 300RCM and uses the Hornady GMX 165 grain ammo.

He took his buck face on at 308 yards this year and the round went all the way through the deer. We've shot out to 500 yards with accuracy much less than MOA.

I'm not sure it's any "better" than a 300WSM unless you like short barrels and use factory ammo. However, it does work well.

That is interesting, how long is the barrel on that thing? I definitely don't want to do a custom my self though. We are hunting mostly in the brush so that short barrel is the key factor I'm looking at. The WSM's just aren't drastically shorter than a standard magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.