300 Brass Stuck

JP Hunter

Help!
Last week I tried to deprimer some 300rum brass. It was some factory ammo I shot to brake in my new 700. The first box fit in the shell holder but the second 14 of them would not fit. Is my gun causing this? Had no trouble extracting the brass when firing. Do I need new match brass.

JP Hunter,
Are you using the correct shell holder?Some shell holders of different makes have minor dimensional differences,so it pays to try a few with a fired case before you buy.Make sure you use one for the RUM case and not one for another case based on the belted magnums.
Having said that,I have never had a problem with RCBS shell holders,but it is a good idea to only use the same brand as your press.
Hope this helps!
MagnumManiac
gun)

If you read the thread I started, I've been having a similar problem with my 300 WM once shot brass getting stuck when trying to FL size them. Apparently a collet die might be what is needed to get the size around the "web" above the belt back to a more reasonable .510 size. Mine are like .515 or .514 after once fired, my die is around .507 at the web, so that make it get stuck. Check this website I'm probably going to have to order one of this collet dies for this. That is once I get my redding FL die back from the company once they remove my stuck brass :rolleyes:. Sucks because I haven't even got one load done yet, just a newbie learning by making mistakes, haha.
Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment

JP,

Never hurts to have a few extra shell holders on hand, even of different makes. They all vary a bit, and such variations can combine with minute differences in the brass itself to bind up a case. In some situations, you'll find two pieces which are both "within spec" but will not function together, although they theoretically should. It happens. Not at all uncommon to find that in situations like this, where one shell holder won't work, and other "identical" shell holder (same make and number), will work just fine. Nature of the beast, don't let it worry you too much. If you can, take some of the cases that aren't working down to your local gunshop and try them with a different (same number, most likely) shell holder. Might also be worth trying those of different makes, too; if you're using an RCBS, try a Redding, or vice versa.

Not to belabor the obvious here, but I'll agree with MagnumManic, too; confirm that you're using the correct shell holder before trying the other fixes I've mentioned. Hey, we've all done it at one time or another!

Hope this helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.