Getting stuck bullets really STUCK!

Alan Griffith

We always read that sticking our bullets into the lands for accuracy's sake is playing with matches. Those matches being getting the bullet stuck and pulling out a case full of propellant out of the action. Then the propellant spilling all over the actions interior and putting our rifle out of commision until we can remove the bullet.

I would assume that bullets actually getting stuck is a function of neck tension upon the bullet.

so...

1) How many of you have actually experienced this?

2) Under what circumstances did this occur? ie, clean vs dirty barrel, lightly stuck (.005") vs stuck hard (.010"+), what was your neck tension?

3) How tight would you think the neck tension could/should be to negate this tendency?

[ QUOTE ]
We always read that sticking our bullets into the lands for accuracy's sake is playing with matches. Those matches being getting the bullet stuck and pulling out a case full of propellant out of the action. Then the propellant spilling all over the actions interior and putting our rifle out of commision until we can remove the bullet.

I would assume that bullets actually getting stuck is a function of neck tension upon the bullet.

so...

1) How many of you have actually experienced this?

2) Under what circumstances did this occur? ie, clean vs dirty barrel, lightly stuck (.005") vs stuck hard (.010"+), what was your neck tension?

3) How tight would you think the neck tension could/should be to negate this tendency?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have this problem because all my hunting ammo is tuned to shoot best off the lands and not into them. To me that is the easiest way to alleviate the problem.

James

I usually load with minimal neck tension and jam bullets about .005" into the bore. Have had several stick when removing a loaded round. With a hunting rifle it is not a good idea to jam bullets. In competition, if the range officer calls a halt to shooting and remove bolt because of some problem, I will ask to shoot my loaded round before opening the action. In the event this is not possible, raise the rifle vertical, remove the bolt and shell. If bullet remains in the bore it can be knocked out with a cleaning rod. And this procedure will keep most of the powder inside the case. Otherwise, you are done shooting for the day, and a major clean up job is in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have had this happen ofter at the range. It happens with loads that have minimal neck tension, often with necks that have been turned to 0.008"-ish.

When emptying a rifle like this, I use similar procedures as Gene. I keep a can of compressed air (from the photo store) to blow out the powder if a bullet pulls out. It will get all the powder out without a problem, and I am back shooting in a minute or two. My 6mmBR with a 0.262" neck is the biggest offender.

I have not have this problem with unturned necks if bullets lightly touched the rifling.

I have one of my hunting rifle that I shoot jammed. The gun likes it that way so I don't argue with it. If I do not shoot, then the bullet stays in the rifling. I just turn the rifle upside down and shake the powder out and then take a cleaning rod and tap the bullet out.

Cleaning rod.

There is a small sectioned red cleaning rod made by Kleenbore, I believe. I buy two and put enough sections together to make it long enough to reach through the barrel. I then find a small tube to put the sections in. I have to cut the handle down so it will fit in the tube. This goes with me when I go hunting.

I have experienced this quite often using the ULD RBBT Wildcat bullets in my Allen Magnum and Allen Xpress rifles. It actually happens quite easily if the bullets are seated to hard into the lands.

THe main reason, the throat angle, 1-30-00 degree matches up so well to the ogive of the ULD bullet that there is alot of contact area between the tapered lands and the bullets ogive.

In a fresh clean barrel, you can seat the bullets to touch the lands with no problems at all.

Shoot the rifle a bit and get some carbon fouling the origins of the lands and they will pull out often.

For that reason, for my big game rifles I do not seat into the lands, hold them about 5 thou off.

It can happen with any bullet if seated hard into the lands, as you say, thats a risk you take.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.