30 NOSLER, yes or no?

I don't own any of the Nosler cartridges, but I keep reading rave reviews about the .28 Nosler pushing Berger 195's.

As soon as I have funds, my .375WSM is going to have the barrel removed and a 30Nosler fitted, unless I can find another M700 Action at a price too good to refuse

With SAAMI chambers it looks like it will consistently have 50 FPS more than a 300 Win all else being equal. That is with my data with 2 300s and 2 30s. If I were to build one I would try to have Alex Wheeler build it or see if he would let you use his reamer specs as he is getting 50-100 fps faster than the SAAMI chamber with multiple rifles. I am still on the fence about it being worth it due to brass cost and availability. The Win Mag is going nowhere. Who knows about the 30 Nosler. As far as the 28 goes most are using RL33 and it is temp sensitive. If I were to go 28 Nolser I would not use RL33 and therefore the performance would be, most likely, slightly less than you are reading about. N570 may work with 195s but I have not seen any data. I have a 28 and have had two 7-300 barrels. I would choose the 7-300 over the 28 any day if going custom.

I am not a fan of proprietary cartridges (esp. when it is a brass single source -at least at the moment). However, if it fits your bill, that's all it matters. I think it always have a place in somebody's wants or needs.

Cheers!

With SAAMI chambers it looks like it will consistently have 50 FPS more than a 300 Win all else being equal. That is with my data with 2 300s and 2 30s. If I were to build one I would try to have Alex Wheeler build it or see if he would let you use his reamer specs as he is getting 50-100 fps faster than the SAAMI chamber with multiple rifles. I am still on the fence about it being worth it due to brass cost and availability. The Win Mag is going nowhere. Who knows about the 30 Nosler. As far as the 28 goes most are using RL33 and it is temp sensitive. If I were to go 28 Nolser I would not use RL33 and therefore the performance would be, most likely, slightly less than you are reading about. N570 may work with 195s but I have not seen any data. I have a 28 and have had two 7-300 barrels. I would choose the 7-300 over the 28 any day if going custom.
I needed to rebarrel my 300Winny. I decided to make a change after many content years of the 300WM. No solid reason just a change. I'm happy I did. I believe it's an easy cartridge to load for. Good powder column for accuracy. Strong web design. It took me less than 20 rounds to get 3/8 moa with 215Hybrids. Not sure but I think it has less recoil than the 300 WM. Don't know why though. Same Brux #4 barrel and muzzle break. No big deal either way. Both great cartridges. Cost of brass? I only buy Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass for all my rifles. No messing around. Buy once and be done. 100 rounds last long enough for 800-1000 shots. Worth the money once.

Not sure why you quoted me but I've never paid $3 for a piece of 300 brass. Most of my Nosler brass has come from ammo on sale and I've pulled bullets but it's still right at $2 for the 30. My preferred 300 brass is weight sorted Winchester. The primer pockets are too weak on Nosler and Norma brass for the 300.

Nosler's own load data site seems to refute their own claims. Look at 200 gr offerings. 12 gr more powder with 2 inches longer barrel¿

I think they screwed the pooch on this case.

+1 on using a custom reamer. At SAAMI spec, it is a little better than a 300 Win but no critter will know the difference.

Some might like it just for the fact it's not "belted" like a 300 Win. That may be enough for a lot of people.

Seems like 8 out of 10 people say the Nosler brass is too soft. 2 out 10 say its tough. (disclaimer, I'm not officially tracking). I will say it takes almost zero brass prep and time is not my friend these days. Cabelas puts it on sale and if you get lucky, there will be a coupon promotion for $20 off $100.

I've been shooting a 300RUM for some time now and decided that it was actually too much of a good thing. When the barrel was sufficiently worn I rebarreled to 30 Nosler. Choosing the 30 Nosler was a bit of a toss up but I decided to give it a shot. Loading at WSM velocities looks doable and taking it above 300WBY seems possible too without going too far in either direction.

Someone on this site tipped me off to a sale on Nosler Trophy ammo for the 30 Nosler. I grabbed 8 boxes of ammo that cost less than the brass cost alone. Lets see how this all works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.