30 Nosler or 30/375 Ruger

smithjasona1978

Hi. I need some opinions from hopefully guys smarter than me. I am going to do my first long range rifle build. I have my heart set on one of these two cartridges. I won't even consider ANYTHING else. I will be handloading for this gun and I like berger 210s and the new hornady eld 200s. Can someone tell me the case capacity of each with these bullets. I had my mind made up on the ruger case til nosler up and released the 30 but I am worried about having a steady supply of brass for the nosler.

THOUGHTS??

Here are some prints from Quick Design, nothing more than the parent cases necked to 30 caliber and no other changes to give you an idea on case H20 capacities, I've also included the 30-8mm RM and 300 WBY as a comparison.........

personally I think the 300 Norma Magnum is a far, far better cartridge than all the above, even more so the 300 NM improved versions, you can load it mild to match the others velocity for extreme accuracy and eternal brass life and hot rod it to match 30-338 Lapua and 300 RUM velocities without loss of accuracy, but that's just me.........

Attachments

• 1, 30-28 NOSLER.jpg
    1, 30-28 NOSLER.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 569
  • 2, 30-375 RUGER.jpg
    2, 30-375 RUGER.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 573
  • 3, 300 WBY.jpg
    3, 300 WBY.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 4, 30-8mm Rem Mag.jpg
    4, 30-8mm Rem Mag.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 572
The way things are today, considering the availability of QUALITY brass is really a first consideration on a new build.

I'd expect the Nosler brass to be better than the Hornady brass. And ... as stated above, I would buy enough brass to last the life of the barrel and then some.

Even though you aren't open to suggestions - the 30-338Lapua would make available to you the highest quality brass (IMO) which has never been in short supply. The cost is quite reasonable when considering the going rate of any good brass today.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a 30/375 S.I. wildcat based on the 375 Ruger case that shoots VERY well. It has a much better neck than the std. necked down 375, it has less body taper, a 40 degree shoulder, and holds 96.4 gas. H20. The brass is easy to work with. I have a reamer and can get dies from Whidden for it. I have reached 3200' with the 215 Berger in a 28" barrel.........Rich

Thanks for the input guys. I have chosen to go with one of these two cartridges because I want to be able to use a standard length action. And I want to be able to feed grom a mag. I had trouble viewing the specs for some reason. Which has the largest case capacity? And could someone also compare it with a.300 win mag?

Thanks for the input guys. I have chosen to go with one of these two cartridges because I want to be able to use a standard length action. And I want to be able to feed grom a mag. I had trouble viewing the specs for some reason. Which has the largest case capacity? And could someone also compare it with a.300 win mag?

According to a recent Nosler publication (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Nosler) the 30 Nosler surpasses the velocity of the 300 Weatherby Magnum (~99 H20), and fits the same standard length action of a 300 Winchester Magnum (~89 H20).

The .375 Ruger has ~100 H20 (slightly less when necked down to .308).

The 300 WM holds about 90 grains H20 and mine holds 6 grains more

Here are some prints from Quick Design, nothing more than the parent cases necked to 30 caliber and no other changes to give you an idea on case H20 capacities, I've also included the 30-8mm RM and 300 WBY as a comparison.........

personally I think the 300 Norma Magnum is a far, far better cartridge than all the above, even more so the 300 NM improved versions, you can load it mild to match the others velocity for extreme accuracy and eternal brass life and hot rod it to match 30-338 Lapua and 300 RUM velocities without loss of accuracy, but that's just me.........

If the 30 Nosler has the longer neck as the diagram shows then that's my vote between the two. The 300NM is awesome though.

Thank you Swamplord for the pics.

smithjasona1978: There are many factors in choosing a chamber. The previous posts show and explain many. I have made a 308/28-Nosler. Performance is great. I now have a Proof Research 30 cal, 9 twist to update the rile.

1) Standard magnum bolt face vs. Uber magnum bolt face.
2) Rebated rim vs. body same as rim vs. belted.
3) Magazine length. Ruger and Nosler are designed for ~3.340 factory COAL, RUM and Wby is designed for ~3.600 factory COAL. If you started with a RUM or 300 Wby action+magazine box you are good to go for any a 30-Nosler, 308/26-Nosler or 30/375-Ruger
4) Brass availability, Ruger 375 has been around for a long time. Quality Cartridge even makes 30-375 Ruger brass. The 375 Ruger brass is ~$1 each except the QC which is ~$3.40. The Nosler is new. While availability is expanding, there are only 2 brands, Nosler and Norma. As far as we can tell they both come from the same manufacturer, Norma. xx-Nosler brass comes in ~$2.50.
5) Capacity vs. Performance. All are so close that the difference will be rifle to rifle.

Choosing which. Since I am well into 404 Jeffery based designs, WSSM, WSM and RUMs, I went with the xx-Nosler.

Note: the 30-Nosler is not the same as a 308/26-Nosler.

Well thanks guys for all the input. I am gonna go with the ruger. I know that the nosler has better brass, but I can afford to buy a lot more of the hornady stuff.
Last question,, what set of sizing dies will make necking down the cases the simplest? And im not gonna get fancy and change the shoulder angle or nothing. It'll do me just fine the way it is. Truth be told I should just keep my win mag, but im bored and its my money. If I don't spend it my wife will find diamonds on sale somewhere.

Well thanks guys for all the input. I am gonna go with the ruger. I know that the nosler has better brass, but I can afford to buy a lot more of the hornady stuff.
Last question,, what set of sizing dies will make necking down the cases the simplest? And im not gonna get fancy and change the shoulder angle or nothing. It'll do me just fine the way it is. Truth be told I should just keep my win mag, but im bored and its my money. If I don't spend it my wife will find diamonds on sale somewhere.

For my S.I. I use a shortened 375 Ruger to push the shoulder back, A 338 RCM to neck down, and then my 30 S.I. die to complete the process. Since you are not messing with the shoulder or neck length, you could use the RCM and then your 30/375 to finish....Rich

For my S.I. I use a shortened 375 Ruger to push the shoulder back, A 338 RCM to neck down, and then my 30 S.I. die to complete the process. Since you are not messing with the shoulder or neck length, you could use the RCM and then your 30/375 to finish....Rich

I have a PBike257 Wildcatters Magnum reducing die set. Something has happened to PBike257 and he is not to be found.

After that, I use Hornady "Magnum" neck sizing dies, decapping stem removed.

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Neck Sizer Die 35 Cal
Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Neck Sizer Die 338 Mag

I am not sure if the shoulder of the 35 cal will accomodate the 375 Ruger's .510 shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.