30/375 Ruger

Sweet looking case huh!

If you get a reamer made, let me know. I may want to .... err .... uh .... borrow it from you!

Should get approx 6 or 7 more grains of powder capacity.

The 338/375 Ruger would be interesting too but I already have a 338RUM. Shooting those heavier bullets in the 225 to 250 gr also take it into the muzzle brake or heavier gun range for me.

Sweet looking case huh!

If you get a reamer made, let me know. I may want to .... err .... uh .... borrow it from you!

Should get approx 6 or 7 more grains of powder capacity.

The 338/375 Ruger would be interesting too but I already have a 338RUM. Shooting those heavier bullets in the 225 to 250 gr also take it into the muzzle brake or heavier gun range for me.

Will do......I may still go with my 300 Sherman? I have about three months to decide.

Call the custom die guy at hornady. They call it a 300 HSM (hornady super match). They have dies and that guy is knowlegeable at how to size the brass down.

A guy on here has developed a case called the 338 SIN. Sin is his last name and LTLR just recently used it. Instead of sizing the 375 down, they figured out that you could load 330 Dakota brass and fire it making the same caliber. Do some digging on this thread sight. LTLR used it for a caribou hunt and was very pleased. He developed the caliber to be used on a regular long action with high BC bullets. LTLR uses the 225 Cutting Edge bullets to a tune of 3100fps I think.

Tank

Thanks guys, I was drawing up a diagram of a Ruger design last night and it is very close to the SIN! Maybe I can save a few bucks.........Rich

The expert on the 30/375. (300 HSM) is Dave Tooley. Dave, Acc Int, and Hornady (Joe Thielen) teamed up on this project as a switch barrel for the sniper bid. Dave is ruining the Hornady 225s at 2850 out of a 26" barrel.

Dave built me a LR pistol in 300 HSM recently. I bought the last set of HSM dies. BTW it shoots great but have not had the time to really work it up completely.

If you don't mind stepping up to a .532" bolt-face, my recommendation would be to look into the 300 Norma Mag. You can readily buy dies from Forster and high quality brass is available without having to fireform or neck down. I have had excellent results with mine using the 230 Bergers. Even the higher BC 230 grain Bergers will easily fit in an AI mag. I am pushing the 230 Bergers at right around 3000 fps with some room to push them faster if desired.

I know you are asking about the 30/375 Ruger, but I thought I would throw another, easier option out there.

If you don't mind stepping up to a .532" bolt-face, my recommendation would be to look into the 300 Norma Mag. You can readily buy dies from Forster and high quality brass is available without having to fireform or neck down. I have had excellent results with mine using the 230 Bergers. Even the higher BC 230 grain Bergers will easily fit in an AI mag. I am pushing the 230 Bergers at right around 3000 fps with some room to push them faster if desired.

I know you are asking about the 30/375 Ruger, but I thought I would throw another, easier option out there.

I think the Norma uses the 0.588" bolt face like the 338 Lapua and the large Weatherby's.

0.532" is the regular magnum.

I know there are many differing opinions, but not many action are designed to use the bigger bolt face. In that respect "easier" is a little subjective.

I think the Norma is a good choice other than the fact that I really want to get away from the belted case. Thus the reason for the Ruger.......Rich

I think the Norma is a good choice other than the fact that I really want to get away from the belted case. Thus the reason for the Ruger.......Rich

Let me know what you finally settle on Rich. I'm tempted for a .308 cartridge along the same lines as you're thinking. One very experienced member on this Forum has convinced me that the 300 RUM yields a fairly short barrel life. His POI's and MVs kept changing because the bore was eroding so quickly. He shoots a lot more than I, but if a guy's gonna shoot very much, the 300 RUM seems like too much case capacity. Too much overbore. The 338's seem to shine with that much case capacity.

Can't believe I just typed that, now that I admit that I own a .257 RUM. But I don't shoot the .257 RUM very much at all. Got it more for the novelty item that it is, than anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts