moly coating bullets, yes or no?

wildworks

Is there any real advantage to moly coating your bullets? increase in speed? less barrel heat and ware?

thoughts

If you do a search on "moly" you will likely be on overload for the next week or two. :>) Some sites have pages & pages of opinions on the use of moly.

I only use moly coated bullets in high volume varmint cartridges. In my opinion, it does reduce copper fouling considerably. However, I don't over do it and clean my rifle bores regularely. Other than that, I'm not too if its worth the trouble in any of my other rifles.

[ QUOTE ]
I only use moly coated bullets in high volume varmint cartridges. In my opinion, it does reduce copper fouling considerably. However, I don't over do it and clean my rifle bores regularely.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the money. I use it in my .243 for PD and target shooting. I can shoot it for several days with no drop off in accuracy. I will always use moly for my varmint rigs.

As far as the bigger bores, I would leave it alone. You have to clean them more often, who wants to waste a few of those to settle the bbl back in.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.