30 cal Amax on 30-30

Any success stories on lever revolution ??

Yeah, been thooting them for years (since they came out) for my .30-30 and .444 Marlin lever guns. **** accurate, too! Turns your .30-30 into a 300 yard gun, compared to 100-150 with the crappy lead-tipped roundnose bullets of yester-year.

On a side note, if you're wanting awesome ballistics out of a lever-gun, have it rebarreled to 7mm STE, which based off the .307 Winchester cartridge.

Mud,

Speak speak, you got my attention

Forgot I also have them for my 1874 Sharps .45-70...

Speak of which part? The LeverEvolutions? I got them shooting around 1-1.5 MOA @ 100 yards out of my old Marlin .30-30. Which would mean about 3-3.5" group @ 300 if you dared to take them that far. I haven't tried, because I have other guns for that. But on the box it says the ballistics, and if I remembered the drop out of 300 was minimal compared to anything else for the .30-30.

No need to crimp. You will not be loading a round behind another one so no need to crimp. If you find some 125 Nosler ballistic tips or 125 Hornady SST bullets they really kill deer great at the velocities you can get with the 30-30.

If you really want to shoot a .30-30 to it's fullest extent, I suggest buying a single-shot Thompson Center rifle, and ordering a .30-30 Ackley Improved heavy barrel, and then you can load whatever .30 cal bullets you want.

I have seriously considered doing this for my wildcat calibers.

If you really want to shoot a .30-30 to it's fullest extent, I suggest buying a single-shot Thompson Center rifle, and ordering a .30-30 Ackley Improved heavy barrel, and then you can load whatever .30 cal bullets you want.

I have seriously considered doing this for my wildcat calibers.

There's something about lever rifles, I am looking at 7mm ste. Really curious

Ummm, any suggestions on velocity and best powder
I have 3 lever guns. When I shoot them it's a gas.

A 1866/1966 Winchester 100 anniversary in 30-30.
A 1866 Uberti in 45 Colt for Cowboy Action but I am quite willing to use it for close range hunting.
A Winchester M88 in 284.

As for A-Max in a 30-30:
Yes, of course you are on your own if you do and you probably have a 1/2 twist, OK for 168's but if 1/16 they won't stabilize.
I would not tube load, not because of danger which is real but because the tips on A-Max are easily deformed. This is a very different tip from LEVERevolution.
You are looking at 2000-2400 fps just like any other 30-30 load.
Make sure you don't jam the bullet into the rifling.

or

These are all in stock at Midway
Speer Hot-Cor Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 170 Grain Jacketed Soft
Oregon Trail Trueshot Cast Bullets 30 Cal (309 Diameter) 170 Grain
Swift A-Frame Lever Action Rifle Bullets 30-30 Winchester Cal (308

I have 3 lever guns. When I shoot them it's a gas.

A 1866/1966 Winchester 100 anniversary in 30-30.
A 1866 Uberti in 45 Colt for Cowboy Action but I am quite willing to use it for close range hunting.
A Winchester M88 in 284.

As for A-Max in a 30-30:
Yes, of course you are on your own if you do and you probably have a 1/2 twist, OK for 168's but if 1/16 they won't stabilize.
I would not tube load, not because of danger which is real but because the tips on A-Max are easily deformed. This is a very different tip from LEVERevolution.
You are looking at 2000-2400 fps just like any other 30-30 load.
Make sure you don't jam the bullet into the rifling.

or

These are all in stock at Midway
Speer Hot-Cor Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 170 Grain Jacketed Soft
Oregon Trail Trueshot Cast Bullets 30 Cal (309 Diameter) 170 Grain

Thanks a million for the links

Speaking of the 30-30AI I have one in a T/C Contender pistol with a 14" barrel that is awesome. I shoot 125 Ballistic Tips at 2670 fps average and 5 shots under 1" at 100 yards. It will smoke a deer. I have killed about 10 deer with it in the past 4 years and have only had three even take a step and they did not go over 30 yards. The rest were dropped in their tracks.

Anybody ever ran a .30-348 Winchester? IMO that would be a sweet round, like a lever-gun magnum. Plus most .348 lever guns were built heavy enough to handle some serious performance.

Or what about a .30-40 Krag Ack.-Imp? Was a .30-40 tube-lever gun ever made? It shouldnt be too hard to do with a rebarreled .30-30 if they didnt I would think. Per Mr Ackley himself, the .30-40 AI was capable of hot .30-06 loads or even low/factory level .300 H&H loads in the right rifle. Obviously that shouldnt be done in a lever gun but the round is capable of it nonetheless.

Anybody ever ran a .30-348 Winchester? IMO that would be a sweet round, like a lever-gun magnum. Plus most .348 lever guns were built heavy enough to handle some serious performance.

Or what about a .30-40 Krag Ack.-Imp? Was a .30-40 tube-lever gun ever made? It shouldnt be too hard to do with a rebarreled .30-30 if they didnt I would think. Per Mr Ackley himself, the .30-40 AI was capable of hot .30-06 loads or even low/factory level .300 H&H loads in the right rifle. Obviously that shouldnt be done in a lever gun but the round is capable of it nonetheless.

I get a hard on with lever guns. Just decided to share this

I get a hard on with lever guns. Just decided to share this

How is the 7mm STE search going? Want one yet? :D

I have thought about buying a cheap used .30-30 and rebarreling it to 7mm STE, myself.

But buying a Thompson and beig able to interchange barrels will be my best bet for money well-spent.

How is the 7mm STE search going? Want one yet? :D

I have thought about buying a cheap used .30-30 and rebarreling it to 7mm STE, myself.

But buying a Thompson and beig able to interchange barrels will be my best bet for money well-spent.

I called three local smiths and my personal one. Non will attempt it, also after trying to locate dies its pretty much hard. Much thinking today, I will leave it like it is. This was a dear friend of mine marlin 30 30 from I believe 1970. Just had it bead blasted sanded to mirror smoothness than blued 4 times. . I will leave it alone. Will get a cheapo marlin and try something or maybe go your route

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.