30-338 lapua imp

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
My new toy is back from the gun smith. On Kirby's advice I had it chambered in 30-338 lapua imp. I am going to start out loading GS 160's. I think I am going to use RL-25. I need any advice I can get on powder and starting loads. Also I need to get the appropriate dies. I have never neck sized down or expanded for the improved. So, again any advice will be much appriciated.

Thanks, Steve

PS. The barrel is 30" lilja, action is sako.

If you did not have the smith make a set of dies, then my suggestion is get a copy of his reamer print and send it to Neil Jones. He will make a set of custom seater and FL size die that also does a shoulder bump. He is the only one who has the shoulder bump die and bushings. He will send you a neck size die only first and let you load and fire a couple cases. You send the die and cases back to him, he hones a custom insert for the FL die and inserts it and sends back in about 2 weeks. A set will run you about $275-300 and 30 days.

Your other choice is to find someone who has a set of dies can load you about 5 rounds and let you fire them, to fire form and then refire at full size. Send 3 fired cases to Forester Bonanza or Hornady and let them make you a set of dies. Might be less money and maybe the same timeframe if you are lucky.

You can buy an intemediate bushing to size the neck down about half way and then go one final step.

IMO Imperial size die lube is the best for this. Also when you fire form a small swipe of this on the neck shoulder junction will help the shoulders fireform at the sharp angle. You will want the bullet seated long into the lands to get the case centered when fireforming. You want a slight crush fit (hard feel) when closing the bolt. The other way is to leave a small step on the shoulder when sizing down to use that to fit the chamber. Go to www.6mmbr.com and they have pics of that under fireforming the 6br to the Dasher. Same process only larger (much) case.

I imagine you will find the load for the final improved to be RL 25 in/around about 90-97 grs and same with Norma MRP2, which I prefer. Buy your powder in large quantities of the same lot. RL powders are known to be temp sensitive.

cannot remember my fireforming loads right now, but I am sure that others will chime in with them and other powders.

BH

any pics of this case,it's something i'm thinking of having built,what kind of performance are you getting.

[ QUOTE ]
My new toy is back from the gun smith. On Kirby's advice I had it chambered in 30-338 lapua imp. I am going to start out loading GS 160's. I think I am going to use RL-25. I need any advice I can get on powder and starting loads. Also I need to get the appropriate dies. I have never neck sized down or expanded for the improved. So, again any advice will be much appriciated.

Thanks, Steve

PS. The barrel is 30" lilja, action is sako.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve,

Before you go the RL25 route, try some H1000. Since you are using the GS bullets, you will need to step up in the powder burn rate. When I was testing the GS bullets in the 30/338 Lapua (non improved) case, I was using RL22. If I had it to do all over again, I would try some h1000 with the GS bullets since only the driving bands contact the barrel.

James

Steve,

Almost forgot, the GS bullets require you think outside the box as compared to standard bullets. For instance the actual bullet is .2995" just ahead of the first driving band and .3010" just aft of the last driving band. Only the driving bands are in the vicinity of .308".
To get good performance out of them, you have to burn faster powder and run hotter loads. Additionally, .030'' to .060" will probably be the sweet spot on seating depth. I am really done now.

James

I called Redding, they gave me a item # to order the dies. Is this a good way to go, or should I have them custom built? This gun is still a hunting gun, I don't shoot compitition, probably never will. I had enough of that in archery. As of now I don't think I will be shooting much over 600 yrds. I have been able to create sub 1" groups w/ all my other stock guns using stock dies. If I don't have to spend $300 + on dies I don't want to.

RL powders have problems w/ tempurature? That is dissapointing. The little that I have used the RL25 it seemed very good. I created better velocity w/ less pressure signs.

Thanks again, Steve

I have a 30 Wolf, 30-338 Lapua, I tried 95 grains of Retumbo and a 190 SMK. It runs around 3350 FPS as a starting load (mild). I haven't shot it in a while if my memory isn't failing me it will hold a little over 101 gr, use caution! US869, and Retumbo powders work well.

93 gr of Retumbo and a 210 SMK is a nice load as well. H1000 is something I want to try too.

Frank D

Steve
I have a 30 Wolf also (338 Lapua necked down to 30 cal)
basicly same info as demarpaint except I have not loaded any bullets under 200 grns.
I use 80 grns of 7828 with 220 SMK to fire form and it runs just a tad over 3000 FPS and is very accurate in my gun.
So its FUN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif to fire form because its very accurate!
I'm using 92.2 grns of retumbo and 216 grn CR bullets into the lands at 3240 FPS is a good load in my Wolf.
Also it matches my reticle really well so no need to push any harder.
The 210 SMK shot very well also right at 3280 to 3290 FPS
using both retumbo and 869.

Just can't leave well enough alone and want to try some 50BMG also maybe some 240 SMK'S
I think the rl-25 will work well with lighter bullets. Some like the 178 A-max. mostly because they live at low elevations and they run the reticle better!

Remember to start low and work up!!

What is your goal with the smaller weight bullets?
What are you shooting with them?

CAM

Steve Davis,

What twist is your 30-338 Lapua Imp? I'm using an 11 twist finished at 33".

Frank D

Thank you guys for the info.

I got interested in the mono metal bullets because I was having trouble with the lead core bullets working properly at high velocities. (I am what you all call a short range hunter.) Started out looking at the Lost River bullets, wound up looking at the GS Custom Bullets web site. Found alot of great info. Turns out the mono metal bullet is long for weight, which means it need faster twist to stabilize. I had this new Lilja barrel built 30", knew I wanted to use the GS bullets, but was chicken to go w/ the 8 twist for fear that I would want to go back to 200 to 250 grain bullets. The 173 grn GS requires a 1 in 8 twist for good stabilization inside 600 yrds. So I am going to give the 160 GS's a go. It should be fun to see if I can get up to the 3800fps + range. This would be great for my short range hunting, should allow me to shoot nearly 500yrds with out a range finder.

My twist is 1 in 10.

Thanks again, Steve

Steve
Definitely thinking out side the "box"!!
I can blow up bullets with out any problems also, But have went to either heavier bullets, decreasing FPS, or different twists to "cure" the problem!

I had a 1 in 10 four groove in a 30-378 and gave up on the lighter bullets (lead core) and even blew a few 216 CR!!
never could get the Barnes bullets to work in my gun either.

I've came to the conclusion that some things work better than others, I have over come my "need for speed" and have backed off on pushing the envelope! Its so much easier to learn from others expence and tuneup a proven load to your gun.

It seems to me your going in the wrong direction pushing smaller bullets faster with more powder, I went the opposite direction and down sized my case from the 30-378 (127.4 grn water) to the 338Lapua (115.5 grn water before neck size and fire form, 118 maybe formed) small down size, But still 10% less capacity. can push the 200ish grn bullets to the FPS I was down loading the 30-378 using 10% less powder.

You have your work cut out for you hope it works as planned.
keep us posted on your progress!

You might want to team up with Wildcat he seems to like pushing small for cal bullets FAST and might know some secrets!!

I built mine for an Elk tipper over, so I lean more for heavy bullets than lighting fast no drop.

CAM

You are absolutely correct. Can't go wrong w/ "heavier is better". I have a 30-06 loaded w/ 180 grn bullets that takes care of everything on the north american continant. This is all about the fun, and thinking outside of the box.

This is why more than one caliber exists. If what I am doing dosn't work I can very easily go back to 200grn accubonds at 3200 to 3300 fps.

For that matter I can go back to my 3006 180grn at 2700fps and call it good. What would be the fun in that?

The theory behind bullets had to take a dramatic change when rifles broke the 2000 fps barrier. If I am not mistaking the same kind of dramatic changes are happening now with the 3000fps mark more and more readily broken.

Unless I am terribly missinformed bullets kill by creating a wound chanel. Knock down power does not exist. Penitration is the goal. More important, penitration with maximum disruption. Penitration is created by energy. Energy is created by speed and weight. Disruption caused by the reaction of the bullet on impact.

Maybe someday the lid will be taken off the box you are in and you can look to see what is outside.

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
You are absolutely correct. Can't go wrong w/ "heavier is better". I have a 30-06 loaded w/ 180 grn bullets that takes care of everything on the north american continant. This is all about the fun, and thinking outside of the box.

This is why more than one caliber exists. If what I am doing dosn't work I can very easily go back to 200grn accubonds at 3200 to 3300 fps.

For that matter I can go back to my 3006 180grn at 2700fps and call it good. What would be the fun in that?

The theory behind bullets had to take a dramatic change when rifles broke the 2000 fps barrier. If I am not mistaking the same kind of dramatic changes are happening now with the 3000fps mark more and more readily broken.

Unless I am terribly missinformed bullets kill by creating a wound chanel. Knock down power does not exist. Penitration is the goal. More important, penitration with maximum disruption. Penitration is created by energy. Energy is created by speed and weight. Disruption caused by the reaction of the bullet on impact.

Maybe someday the lid will be taken off the box you are in and you can look to see what is outside.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not have said it better! If you can afford to push the envelope, then push it. I do and found that you can learn a lot more by operating in the fringes than staying mainstream. Mainstream is not much fun for us tinkerers. "Todays' fringe is tomorrows' mainstream".

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.