338 lapua dies work in 338 lapua-imp

new shooter

Will the 338 lapua redding competition 3 die seat work for the 338 lapua-imp. I would like to yous the bushing neck die in my 338-imp and body die and the bump the solder dies. If not all three will the seating die work. Thanks for info joe

Will the 338 lapua redding competition 3 die seat work for the 338 lapua-imp. I would like to yous the bushing neck die in my 338-imp and body die and the bump the solder dies. If not all three will the seating die work. Thanks for info joe

No. Send your reamer print to Whidden and get a set of dies.

Steve

Not even the seater die I would like to used the REDDING VLD DIE FOR MY 300 GR BERGERS

Your improved version case will likely not fit into the seater. The shoulder will likely be moved and for sure will be expanded to take some of the taper out of the parent case. So the dia of the improved cartridge will be larger than the parent case.

You can order custom dies from many manufactures and get exactly what you want. Whidden seems to be the fastest and very nice dies.

Steve

Your improved version case will likely not fit into the seater. The shoulder will likely be moved and for sure will be expanded to take some of the taper out of the parent case. So the dia of the improved cartridge will be larger than the parent case.

You can order custom dies from many manufactures and get exactly what you want. Whidden seems to be the fastest and very nice dies.

Steve
Thanks steve I call redding they do make a 338 Lapua with a 40 degree shoulder # 92930 pluse a micro sheater #09180 for 300 gr VLD.. As far as whidden goes I order a 338 Lapua -imp Hydraulie form Die sent three fired cases from my 338-imp took 8 weeks I went through 20 new laupa brass trying to form the inproved 338-imp not on came out. sent it back. There going to try to fix it. But I don't want one that only does a part fourm then still have to fire form what would be the cence of that. By the way your bullets look great. Joe

Thanks steve I call redding they do make a 338 Lapua with a 40 degree shoulder # 92930 pluse a micro sheater #09180 for 300 gr VLD.. As far as whidden goes I order a 338 Lapua -imp Hydraulie form Die sent three fired cases from my 338-imp took 8 weeks I went through 20 new laupa brass trying to form the inproved 338-imp not on came out. sent it back. There going to try to fix it. But I don't want one that only does a part fourm then still have to fire form what would be the cence of that. By the way your bullets look great. Joe

Thanks Joe,

I don't know what reamer your smith used to do your chamber. The 30-338 Lap imp is not standard by any means. There are many versions out there. So before you buy one that is off the shelf make sure it will match.

The hydraulic die looks very intriguing to me. I am sorry to hear that it did not work for you. We have too many wildcats to get involved with them now. $150 for each rifle seems like it will be easier to stick with the COW method.

FWIW the COW method gets about 95% (maybe at bit better) formed brass. Close enough that we have not been able to tell the diff between first firing and second firing after forming. So in other words the shoulder still has a small radius after fire forming.

Steve

Unless the Redding 338 LAI matches the same chamber reamer that was used on you rifle that re useless to you, been down this road and having Whidden build you a set from a reamer print or fired cases is by far the best solution! Hydro forming won't bang out full formed case, and even if using COW method that first round still fire forms.

Unless the Redding 338 LAI matches the same chamber reamer that was used on you rifle that re useless to you, been down this road and having Whidden build you a set from a reamer print or fired cases is by far the best solution! Hydro forming won't bang out full formed case, and even if using COW method that first round still fire forms.

So I would be wasting my time and powder using cow method ? So just load up 150 case with 150 bullets and shot with 80 or 90 grains R33 POWDER. What a waste of barrel life+ $120 for 300 gr berger.

That's why I used cheap bulk 250gr bthp bullets from Midway and some 4831 Powder I had laying around to form my 338 AI brass. It was accurate enough to have fun banging steel at 600-800 yds.

Also the Nosler Pro Shop has 100 ct 300 gr BTHP blems on sale for $27.95.
These would work great for fireforming without breaking the bank.
I prefer to look thru the scope and see a bullet hit something every time
I pull the trigger when fireforming.

Can I have the smith that is cambering the 338 lapua-imp make me a body die then I could use the redding competition neck bushing die I hope ? Thanks for your help. Joe

Yep. Or you can have your smith give you the reamer print to send to Whidden. I think Bigngreen was not saying to live fire form all your brass. Just one to send in for a set of dies.

Steve

Unless the Smith has a resize reamer for the the chambering then he can not make a body die with the finish reamer. You can use the COW method but it will only blow cases out to a degree, that first full firing with a bullet will still finish the process. I don't like sizing the brass up then making a false shoulder when staying the same cal so I normally jamb a bullet with a decent load and do break in while fire forming.

A 338 Lapua Improved is not a cheep endeavor, I only fire form maybe 50 rounds and taken care of they go a long, long ways. I know several guys solution was to have a cheap Remington fitted with a cheap barrel head spaced a little tighter than their main rifle and us that for fire forming. I've seen a number of die work around and none work as well as having the correct set made by Whidden.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.