338 lapua dies work in 338 lapua-imp

A 338 Lapua Improved is not a cheep endeavor, I only fire form maybe 50 rounds and taken care of they go a long, long ways. I know several guys solution was to have a cheap Remington fitted with a cheap barrel head spaced a little tighter than their main rifle and us that for fire forming. I've seen a number of die work around and none work as well as having the correct set made by Whidden.
I have a 338AX when I got it I had Kirby fireform 300 brass for it. I never new how much trouble it would be. I had a 338 norma rebarrel I am having ssg gun smithing rebarrel it to 338 lapua inp. I called him an he said he could make a body die or a full size die. I told him to do a body die then I can get a 40 degree competition bushing neck from redding. DO THINK THAT WILL WORK? I AM SENDING Whidden hydraulic form die back it never came close to firefourm the brass. I will by some Nosler 300 gr bthp 27.95 per 100 and us them. It is so great to have you guys hear to help an 68 year old. I just love to shoot long. I have put 1500 rounds through my 338 ax out to 1913 yds it took 3 shot to get where I new the next shot would be right on. I took a sort veto through my spotting scope the next two shots where on a small rock. I don't no how to post the veto. Joe

That does make a difference, Nathan is one of the few Smith's who have the tooling and ability to make you those dies without reamers. You really only need to get a solid fire forming method established and you'll be fine!!

Unless the Redding 338 LAI matches the same chamber reamer that was used on you rifle that re useless to you, been down this road and having Whidden build you a set from a reamer print or fired cases is by far the best solution! Hydro forming won't bang out full formed case, and even if using COW method that first round still fire forms.

I have a related issue to your comment. I have a 338 Lapua AI 40 degree shoulder. I'm shoulder bumping the cases that have been fired twice that are fitting kind of snug. I'm using all Redding dies, neck sizer, seater and a body die.

My issue is the body die doesn't bump the shoulder back no matter how deep I screw it in. Even if I screw it in where I can't push the handle of the rock chuck all the way through its full cycle. These are not custom dies but The guys in the custom shop at Reading looked at my reamer print and said these version one dies should work for my 40° shoulder angle based off the print dimension. I got a few weeks before I leave on a bear hunt so this is getting down to the wire. Anyone have any input?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.