30/28 Nosler

Rhovee,
I'm wondering how things are going with your 30 28 Nosler. I have a new proof research 28 in 30 caliber Barrel that I'm getting ready to do a build on and I'm stuck between the 300 rum and doing a 30 - 28 Nosler with a longer throat than my old one. Was wondering what your thoughts and the thoughts of the Forum was.
Good choice but I would also consider the 30 SM before you decide.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

Good choice but I would also consider the 30 SM before you decide.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Elkaholic,
It appears the 300 Sherman Magnum is a 3000 feet per second cartridge with 215 grain bullets. A better choice would seem to be the 300 PRC Sherman improved with the velocities of 3190 and 3200 + fps that seems to beat the 30 - 28 Nosler and rival the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. Please help me understand if I'm wrong on this. I'd like a healthy discussion on this as once I build a rifle, I'll be stuck with that cartridge until I sell it or wear out the barrel.

Elkaholic,
It appears the 300 Sherman Magnum is a 3000 feet per second cartridge with 215 grain bullets. A better choice would seem to be the 300 PRC Sherman improved with the velocities of 3190 and 3200 + fps that seems to beat the 30 - 28 Nosler and rival the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. Please help me understand if I'm wrong on this. I'd like a healthy discussion on this as once I build a rifle, I'll be stuck with that cartridge until I sell it or wear out the barrel.
The 300 PRC S.I. and the 30 Sherman magnum are one in the same. There is also a 300 Sherman ('06) based and a 300 max (saum based)
the 30 SM will reach 3200' with a 215 and 3100' with a 230 at max velocity in a 28" barrel. Forming is as easy as accurately shooting prc ammo in my chamber. You can call me if you want to chat.

That makes total sense now. I was looking at the wrong Sherman case. Interesting. I started another thread asking for thoughts on the 300 PRC Sherman improved and the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I'll go back to the Sherman site I'll look into it deeper.

Have you tested the Sherman with a 26"
Barrel and H1000'with a 215? My numbers are from accuracy at 3100 FPS with 215 and H1000 from a 26" barrel. Three barrels actually.

Here's the load data for the Sherman cartridges. The 300 Sherman Magnum or 300 PRC Sherman improved is that the bottom of the document.

Attachments

• Sherman Load Data (1).pdf
    418 KB · Views: 262
Have any 30-28 Nosler owners taken a serious look or tested the 200gn Pointed SMK's?

Has anyone given the 230 berger Hybrid a run and could advise on V0 numbers experienced?

I'm having my 28N re-barreled right now to a 30-28N and have been agonising over FB length and which projectiles to run, I'm keen to mimic the 28 Nosler exterior ballistics as closely as possible with out thrashing the throat as much..

We have access to a very close powder to H1000 called ADI AR2217, from all reports the two are almost interchangeable, so I have been looking at the shooters running this powder and observing which bullet combo's are getting used...

Have any 30-28 Nosler owners taken a serious look or tested the 200gn Pointed SMK's?

Has anyone given the 230 berger Hybrid a run and could advise on V0 numbers experienced?

I'm having my 28N re-barreled right now to a 30-28N and have been agonising over FB length and which projectiles to run, I'm keen to mimic the 28 Nosler exterior ballistics as closely as possible with out thrashing the throat as much..

We have access to a very close powder to H1000 called ADI AR2217, from all reports the two are almost interchangeable, so I have been looking at the shooters running this powder and observing which bullet combo's are getting used...

I have no idea what the case capacity of ADG 28 Nosler brass is but ADG 30 Nosler brass has more case capacity than 28 Nosler Nosler brass necked up to 30 which makes the 30-28 Nosler a waste in my book. I have shot a few animals with the 200 SMK and know people who have shot things with the 230 new SMK and performance was not good. I was very disappointed as my tested bc of the 200 SMK came out to .670 G1 moving 3200 from my 30 Nosler. The 230 usually loses 50-100 fps over the 215 depending on the barrel and where the accuracy node is.

I have no idea what the case capacity of ADG 28 Nosler brass is but ADG 30 Nosler brass has more case capacity than 28 Nosler Nosler brass necked up to 30 which makes the 30-28 Nosler a waste in my book. I have shot a few animals with the 200 SMK and know people who have shot things with the 230 new SMK and performance was not good. I was very disappointed as my tested bc of the 200 SMK came out to .670 G1 moving 3200 from my 30 Nosler. The 230 usually loses 50-100 fps over the 215 depending on the barrel and where the accuracy node is.

Cheers for the reply rfurman24,
The 30-28N was a resource consideration for me, I had a significant investment in 28 Nosler - Nolser brass. At the time I kicked off my 1st 28N project the importer had 20 boxes available at $110 per 25 (advised of a price increase to $155 per 25 in 1 years time), also, the only cases available in Australia at the time were Nosler cases... Bertram wasn't making them, Peterson were only just getting off the ground and ADG wasn't a blink on the radar. So I purchased the whole lot thinking I'd be a 28 Nosler man through and through. 2 barrels and later, I realise it's not fit for the volume of shooting I wish to do...
I saw people having decent success with an easy wild cat and I ordered the reamer...

Shame those SMK's didn't work out so good for you, the G1 BC you quote is a long ways off advertised, I'm actually quite surprised... But, 3200 fps is nothing to scoff at..

I still have 1000 230gn Hybrids left over from my 300 Norma and was looking to run them, but I see quite a lot of people opt for the 215gn Hybrids, I can get a hold of a few thousand if I want them, so I might follow that path.

Cheers
Dan

Cheers for the reply rfurman24,
The 30-28N was a resource consideration for me, I had a significant investment in 28 Nosler - Nolser brass. At the time I kicked off my 1st 28N project the importer had 20 boxes available at $110 per 25 (advised of a price increase to $155 per 25 in 1 years time), also, the only cases available in Australia at the time were Nosler cases... Bertram wasn't making them, Peterson were only just getting off the ground and ADG wasn't a blink on the radar. So I purchased the whole lot thinking I'd be a 28 Nosler man through and through. 2 barrels and later, I realise it's not fit for the volume of shooting I wish to do...
I saw people having decent success with an easy wild cat and I ordered the reamer...

Shame those SMK's didn't work out so good for you, the G1 BC you quote is a long ways off advertised, I'm actually quite surprised... But, 3200 fps is nothing to scoff at..

I still have 1000 230gn Hybrids left over from my 300 Norma and was looking to run them, but I see quite a lot of people opt for the 215gn Hybrids, I can get a hold of a few thousand if I want them, so I might follow that path.

Cheers
Dan

Yes I see the boat you are in and it is a great cartridge. I am still a 215 guy. My 300 PRC would not shoot them so it gets 230s. Yes the 200SMK with a measured bc of .670 at 3200 is no joke. It might work if the meplat was trimmed. It might help expansion but I do not have time to test that theory right now.

I can only give you info on the 215 with my 30-28. The 3100 node is easily attainable with the 30-28 unlike the straight 30 you gotta run hard to get there. If you have the Nosler brass then you made a good choice your brass will last longer at 3100.
I've got .225 freebore in mine and I'm just above the neck shoulder junction.
P.M Alex Wheeler or Ryan Pierce on here I doudt they tell you the 30-28 is a waste..

I can only give you info on the 215 with my 30-28. The 3100 node is easily attainable with the 30-28 unlike the straight 30 you gotta run hard to get there. If you have the Nosler brass then you made a good choice your brass will last longer at 3100.
I've got .225 freebore in mine and I'm just above the neck shoulder junction.
P.M Alex Wheeler or Ryan Pierce on here I doudt they tell you the 30-28 is a waste..

Alex has said the 30-28 will not get to the next node so no reason to run it. If you are hell bent on running Nosler brass then the 30-28 will be easier on brass no doubt. The ADG brass for the 30 nosler has slightly more capacity than Nosler 28 necked up so physics is going to do what it does here and the 30 nosler with ADG brass will be lower pressure than 30-28 nosler with nosler brass. Properly throated a 30 Nosler will run comfortably at 3100 with 215s in Nosler brass and even more so with ADG. Both are great cartridges but the fact is the ADG brass for the 30 Nosler made the 30-28 in Nosler brass a moot point. I have all the brass on hand. I have necked up 28 brass. I have owned 4 30 Noslers. These are the facts. The one wildcard to me is the case capacity of 28 nosler adg brass necked up. I am strictly speaking to H1000. N570 is a completely different animal.

Like Dan said he already has the components to it is a no brainer. I would pick your preferred bullet and do a ladder starting at 80 grains for the 230 and 82 for the 215 and work up in .5 increments. H1000 has huge lot to lot swings so your node could be 83 it could be 86(215).