300wm, 28, 30, 30-28 noslers, and the 338 edge

You can never go wrong with two time tested boring cartridges, plain Jane's..7mm remmag and 300 win mag..either will harvest anything you can hit...

Do any of you guys have performance data of average FPS gain that N570 gives over H1000 in the 30 Nosler with the 215 Hybrid (or similar bullet)? I tried digging through all the stuff over at LRO and I just didn't have time to read through it all in enough detail to extract the useful info.

I have a 30 nosler, Christensen ridgeline. I haven't shot it much as I only deer hunted no elk this year. I shot 210 ablr factory loads and was getting 3/4" groups during barrel break in. For 8.5# all up scoped recoil isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Really like the rifle so far. I hope the round catches on to stay. After buying 10 boxes of nosler match ammo from midway @ 38$ a box, and another 4 boxes of 210 ablr I should have enough brass to burn the barrel. Keep develop load data guys, good work!

Really like my 30-28 Nosler. I haven't settled on a powder yet. The 215 and 230 hybrids are definitely shooting really good.
I'm running a 27" Lilja barrel. Best powders so far are RL26, 7828, and Retumbo.
I've formed a few cases from Bertram .338 edge brass and going to play with those when I get the gun back from having the stock painted.

Has anyone used RL33 powder? I haven't been able to find a starting point for this powder.

Kris

What's your forming process? I have found quality 300 ultra cases from ADG and thought they'd probably be better than the nosler brass.

What's your forming process? I have found quality 300 ultra cases from ADG and thought they'd probably be better than the nosler brass.
I picked up a set of wild Carter dies that use a series of bushings. PBmike I think was the guy I got them from. I'm probably off on that a little.
The Bertram brass has a reputation for being much stronger and get more firings than the Nosler. I'll find out soon.
You will want to neck turn them after setting the shoulder back and trimming down to size. That's where I'm at now. Looking at buying a neck turner.
Overall it's easy if you like to tinker.

Kris

Has anyone used RL33 powder? I haven't been able to find a starting point for this powder.

Kris

I would be curious what quickload says about the 215 w/ RL-33. My hunch is that 33 is just a touch slow for this cartridge. I have a bunch of 33, but probably going to try some N570 unless somebody can convince me that 33 is not too slow.

I would be curious what quickload says about the 215 w/ RL-33. My hunch is that 33 is just a touch slow for this cartridge. I have a bunch of 33, but probably going to try some N570 unless somebody can convince me that 33 is not too slow.
Well I made a post looking for someone that could run it for me but didn't get any bites. I might call Berger and see if they can get me some info.
Or in a few months I'll buy Quickloads and do it myself.
My gun has liked the slower powders. I got pretty good groups and velocity from Retumbo. RL 26 was fsstesr at almost 3100 with good groups.
Kris

Every 30 Nosler I have built runs 215s at 3100 with H1000 in 26". Loads are in the 83-85 grain window.
Alex, is this @ the accuracy node or max speed? I have a friend who's building a rifle soon and he's torn between 300 norma and the 30 nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.