300wm, 28, 30, 30-28 noslers, and the 338 edge

Alex Wheeler

I had these handy and thought I would post a picture for some visual comparisons. All the best big elk rounds IMO. 300 wm, 28 nosler, 30 nosler, 30-28 nosler, and the 338 edge

comparison.jpg

Last edited:
On a more serious note. Yes, I was surprised how the 300WM shot. I can see how it has a following. However I do love the xx-28Nosler.

The last one I didn't have time to fine tune because the rifle needed to be hunting in two days, rifle is running a 25in Rock Creek, new sized cases with shoulder bumped for .002 clearance. Berger 215 .015 of the lands. Fed 215 primer.

Ran a quick ladder and got node at 84-85 gr of H1000 so loaded up 84, 84.5 and 85 and both 84 and 85 shot super small and 84 shot a horizontal group. Loaded 30 of the 85 gr and took the shooter out got some velocities from the mag speed and we we're averaging 3100 fps, ES was a little high but with a new shooter on the gun and new barrel I wasn't worried, punched the numbers into AB, he center up a couple rounds at 1000 yards, shot 600, 760 and they were center up so the ballistics were dial so ran it out to 1535 and he put two rounds on a spot the size of a pop can and we called it good.
He's rolled both his elk just under 600 yards and the bullets are going to the cross hair and just crushing elk!!
Alex has a lot of good 30 Nosler data with finer tunes, I'll do a fine tune on this gun this spring and there will be a few more to dial in by then.

bigngreen are you running the same reamer as Alex? I have two SAAMI 30 Noslers and neither will get to 84 grains of H1000. I am playing with N570 in the newer one and it will get the speed but I am not seeing accuracy at 3100 like you guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.