3-lb hunting trigger, M700

hemiford

I need to buy several triggers for my various rifle projects. I have read quite a bit about factory triggers, Jewell, TriggerTech,
Timney, RifleBasix, etc. I have only shot factory triggers, so no experience with the others. All the reading in the world can't
take the place of hands-on experience !
If I decide a 3-lb pull is sufficient and safe for me, what advantages would there be with an aftermarket trigger set at 3-lb
versus a factory Rem set at 3-lb ?
My rifles tend to be on the heavy side.

With the newer factory triggers, seldom are you able to set the pull weight to 3 pounds...usually closer to 4 at the minimum. That said, it can be done. My biggest perceived advantage to after market is that the pull is consistent- EVERY. SINGLE. PULL. will be the same. It won't be mushy, or vary an ounce here or there. It'll be the same weight, same crisp feel, over and over again.

I have had Jewell, Timney, and a couple different types of Trigger Tech. For my money, it's VERY hard to beat a Trigger Tech Special. I have more of those now than anything after switching some out from Jewells or Timneys. I have a Diamond in one rifle but that's not a hunting rig, more for range use.

I have a Jewels, Trigger Tec, Rifle basic, timney, Shilen Hunting trigger, and I re build Remingtons factory.

Jewels are the best, but they are not dirt friendly. Shilen Hunting trigger is an outstanding hunting trigger if you have some mechanical aptitude. No flies on Trigger tec but I would not put them in the class as a Jewel which are built like a Swiss watch. I do not have the TT Diamond, because I usually by the Jewel triggers used.

For long-range shooting, I want my hunting trigger no more than 1 pound on the high side and I prefer 6 oz or less, depending on the gun. I do not hunt in the extreme cold. When I was hunting off of mules, we shot from ridge to ridge, my mule would see the deer in its bed on the sunny side of the opposite hill, flicking the fly off its ear. The mule would stop and stare like a bird dog pointing at a Quail. Might as well go ahead and pull the gun out of the scabbard at that point because he was already standing there stiff-legged. The shot was usually a neck shot.

I have never had a problem with a Jewel, and I have at least a dozen of them. I have read PRS shooters have had some problems with Jewel, but they may not be taking care of their equipment.

I have a Jewels, Trigger Tec, Rifle basic, timney, Shilen Hunting trigger, and I re build Remingtons factory.

Jewels are the best, but they are not dirt friendly. Shilen Hunting trigger is an outstanding hunting trigger if you have some mechanical aptitude. No flies on Trigger tec but I would not put them in the class as a Jewel which are built like a Swiss watch. I do not have the TT Diamond, because I usually by the Jewel triggers used.

For long-range shooting, I want my hunting trigger no more than 1 pound on the high side and I prefer 6 oz or less, depending on the gun. I do not hunt in the extreme cold. When I was hunting off of mules, we shot from ridge to ridge, my mule would see the deer in its bed on the sunny side of the opposite hill, flicking the fly off its ear. The mule would stop and stare like a bird dog pointing at a Quail. Might as well go ahead and pull the gun out of the scabbard at that point because he was already standing there stiff-legged. The shot was usually a neck shot.

I have never had a problem with a Jewel, and I have at least a dozen of them. I have read PRS shooters have had some problems with Jewel, but they may not be taking care of their equipment.
What he said ^^^^^^^^. You might have a gunsmith adjust a trigger on a gun. Find out where you are comfortable, if you haven't shot with a lite trigger weight. Then invest in triggers for all. Hope this helps. 🤓

I have had several trigger techs. They are the only ones with a really different design. The roller in between the two bearing surfaces makes for a very smooth repeatable trigger. I have not owned jewels but I have shot several and they are wonderful as well.

I need to buy several triggers for my various rifle projects. I have read quite a bit about factory triggers, Jewell, TriggerTech,
Timney, RifleBasix, etc. I have only shot factory triggers, so no experience with the others. All the reading in the world can't
If I decide a 3-lb pull is sufficient and safe for me, what advantages would there be with an aftermarket trigger set at 3-lb
Personally......had adjusted factory triggers for decades. Have two trigger techs the last year and half. Not a spit bit of difference to me.....my favorite factory trigger before tuning.....Savage Accutrigger.

Try a trigger tech,once you feel the difference you'll never go back to a factory trigger!

Well, here's a question. Jewell says that their's adjusts from 1.5 oz (!!) to 3 lbs.

Anyone ever shot a Jewell set at 2.5 to 3 lbs ?

Love jewell have mine set to 1.5lb as well on my hunting gun, keep 'em clean and they just work and they fit into everything, some of the factory Remington are good as well, but you might need to take a dremel to your stock if it is after market, depends on which it is. If you set them to low the gun will fire if you drop the bolt hard, just be careful how light you set them there is a fine line with some triggers.

Love jewell have mine set to 1.5lb as well on my hunting gun, keep 'em clean and they just work and they fit into everything, some of the factory Remington are good as well, but you might need to take a dremel to your stock if it is after market, depends on which it is. If you set them to low the gun will fire if you drop the bolt hard, just be careful how light you set them there is a fine line with some triggers.

OK thanks guys but what I am asking is if anyone has a shot a Jewell set specifically high
in the range of 2 1/2 pounds to 3 pounds.

For the Poundage your Talking about, just get, a Timney Elite Hunter, Trigger.
Mine Cost $134.00 from Midway on a sale.
Can "set" them from, 1.5 to 4 Pounds,.
I set mine at, 1.75 Pounds, on my Rem 700 Sporter and it was, PERFECT for my, Target / Varmint Hunting, uses !
My Jewell, Match Trigger is set at,< 1 Pound, BUT it stays on the Bench or without, a Shell in Chamber, when Hiking around for Yotes and Costs, TWICE as much !

Last edited: