M700 Long Range

AKBman

Thinking of grabbing one of these in either 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. I am looking for a rifle that will i can use to hunt out to 5-600 yards max, and occasionally ring some steel at ranges out to 1K. I know the 300 is probably the better choice, especially for the heavier 200gr and 210gr bullets I like to shoot, but the '06 is just so economical. Wondering if anyone has one in 30-06?

I shoot both '06 and 300 WM. if I were you, I would stick with the '06 if your hunting wont be beyond 600 yards.

very economical round, and still has the steam to push a 200 gr. bullet and have enough velocity for proper expansion out to 600 yards.

Thinking of grabbing one of these in either 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. I am looking for a rifle that will i can use to hunt out to 5-600 yards max, and occasionally ring some steel at ranges out to 1K. I know the 300 is probably the better choice, especially for the heavier 200gr and 210gr bullets I like to shoot, but the '06 is just so economical. Wondering if anyone has one in 30-06?

I have one in 300 ultra but a friend has the longrange in 30-06 and it is very accurate with 185 vld . Velocity was 2850 fps. It shoots less than 0.5" at 200 yards.

I am really leaning towards the 30-06 version, with the extra barrel length, it should have more than enough powder capacity to drive the heavier bullets the distance I want. While years ago I had big dreams of being a long range hunter, reality is i don't get enough time to send the rounds down range to be confident at much more than 500 yards, and most of my shots at game have been less than 300. I have a 300 Win Mag that I have hunted Alaska and New Mexico with that has served me well over the last 17 years, but the rounds count is stacking up, and being a fairly light rifle, it isn't as much fun to shoot from the bench these days. Just kicking around ideas, I load for both, the vast majority of my 30 caliber projectiles are 200gr or heavier. Originally I was just going to put a little more optic on my 300 (wears a VX III in 2.5-8x36 now) and shoot until the barrel needs replacing, the '06 is a Weatherby Vanguard I picked up for less than $300 for my Son who is serving in the Navy, as soon as he gets settled, I will be without an '06. I have some deciding to do.

I have one in 30-06. awesome shooter, all groups under 1". will be even better once I change out the trigger

I've got a R700 LR in 300WM. One of my co-workers also has one. We both had to take our 700s to the gunsmith for a chamber polishing. It was difficult to extract brass on both of our rifles. The gunsmith stated that he has had to polish a number of the 700 LR in 300WM chambers. Not sure if this is an issue on the .30-06's or not.

After the chamber polishing, I'm getting one ragged hole at 120 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.