2nd yote with the 270

remingtonman_25_06

Yesterday was a nice calm morning. Perfect for getting my 300 RUM zeroed out to 800 with the wildcat 210g uld's. I took my .270 with 150g sgk's as well to shoot my gong at 800. My 800 yard range is no more then a 5 mile trip from my house, its in coyote country as anywhere by my house is. I should have had some shells in my .270 but I did not. I have not seen to many yotes in this particular spot. Anyways my buddy was with me to spot and he just got done asking me if I ever see any yotes in here. I said nah, not that many, many like 5 in 10 years. Well just as we crested over a little hill, I see a yote trotting through an opening. I'm scrambling all over heck to get my scope caps off, rangefinder, shells. My buddy was howling to get it to stop. It was only about 200 yards to begin with, but I was no where near ready to shoot and he was now running. My scopes are zeroed at 200 yards, so now I knew I had little chance of hitting a running yote past 200 with out knowing exactly how far he was. Well I got 2 shells in my gun, after fumbling around for what seemed forever, the yote had stopped once like I said as I was fooling around, but then took off again. He was about 20 yards from going over the horizon when me and my buddy got him to stop and look back one more time. I estimated the range to be about 400. I put the crosshairs about a ft over his back and squeezed the trigger on the 270 sending that 150g sgk at 3000fps slamming right in to that yote. A resounding thunk was heard. I was surprised myself. As we were sitting here congratulatin each other, I see another yote take off doing mach 10. I got a rest off my hood, but just as I was ready to touch off, he went over the hill. Oh well, I still got one of em anyways. I hit that yote about 2 inches below the back. Never did rangefind it, but it was around 350-400. Just happened to have the camera with me as well!
zu2rf9.jpg

nice work...good shots(pic)as well..
I thought your 300 RUM barrel was shot out? or you still sqeezing the last bit of life out of it?

MY rifle is shot out. I bought my dad an identical twin a year after mine. Its an LSS and everything. Its had a trigger job and thats it. Its only had about 100 rounds through it, so the barrel should be just getting good and broke in. Its not as accurate as mine was, put it that way. It does OK though for a factory remington, about MOA. I want to get my RUM rebarreled to somethign smaller, I"ve had my experience with an ultra mag, and although it was good, I love the cartridge, I know what regular cartridges and regular magnums are capable of with the right bullets out to my self imposed limits. I dont need an ultra mag, and for as much as I shoot, there to costly on powder and barrels.

Forgot to add that the pic was my idea! I'm getting to be decent at taking pics from as much coyotes and varmints I shoot. I try to get a good background, I have the camera person always squat down low. Just things I pick up from looking at hunting pics and stuff.

What kind of 270 is that? I just bought some 270 bullets that I have never seen before. 115 grain HPBT's. The bullets shape just has good BC all over it. For sub 400 it might be worth using on your varmint trips. The good thing about them is that I got a box of 500 with shipping for less than 10 cents a piece.

Its a remington 700 bdl, 22". Its a little older I'm guessing. I traded my swift for it at the local swap shop. Nothing fancy or special by no means, but with a quick trigger job, and a bore scrubbing after I got it, it seems to do what I expect and wanted of the rifle. It will hit the gong at 800 yards pretty dang consistently and is accurate/powerfull enough for deer out to 800. I never really wanted a 270, but I wanted something bigger then my swift so I could shoot longer ranges. I also figured I be better off with a rem 700 action for down the road. Overall I'm very happy with the gun. Its not in the best of shape or greatest looking of my rifles, but it still shoots just like em.

The 700 action is a good base for a 270 AI barrel. If you could get in good with a gun smith premium barrels really aren't all that much money. You can even use your existing stock with a hogged out to clear larger dia barrels.

the big contours and 29 inches long make 270 into a plinking gun even without a brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MY rifle is shot out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, did you document how many shots it took to shoot out the barrel??? I am looking at a Sendero II in .300 RUM for my next purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks!

PS. Any DEAD 'yote is a GOOD 'yote!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I do not know an exact count, however I go by how many brass I bought and how many times I shot it. I went through 1 box of 20 and went to 8 reloads, so thats about 150 say. Then I bought a batch of 100, shot them 8 times. So thats around 950, already by that time, I could see my groups at long range really start to open up. I then borrowed 50 cases from my dad and have shot them 2 times. So I'm around 1050-1100 I suppose. I've shot the rifle for 2 years, time to rebarrel to something smaller!

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know an exact count, however I go by how many brass I bought and how many times I shot it. I went through 1 box of 20 and went to 8 reloads, so thats about 150 say. Then I bought a batch of 100, shot them 8 times. So thats around 950, already by that time, I could see my groups at long range really start to open up. I then borrowed 50 cases from my dad and have shot them 2 times. So I'm around 1050-1100 I suppose. I've shot the rifle for 2 years, time to rebarrel to something smaller!

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKS for that info, I was assuming that it would be slightly under the .300 Win's average of 1200 rounds. Wanna hear something "funny?" After shooting out the Sendero that I will eventually have, I'm thinking .375 Ultra Mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Real nice picture. What are you thinking of rebarreling the 300RUM to.

If you can get about 1100 rounds through a 300RUM, any guesses as to how many rounds one can put through a 300WSM?

Thanks

Thanks guys. Yah its always nice to pop a yote out past 350 or so. If you've ever skinned one, they are freaking small!! I am kinda leaning towards a 7 WSM shooting 175g-180g bullets. Should get right around 3000fps with only 70g of powder. Gives pretty good ballistics out to 1000 yards. Should offer a heck of a lot more barrel life then 1100 rounds as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.