Threading the needle with the 270 AM - Not for the sqeemish

41mag

Well we headed to the farm this weekend to vent off frustrations of the past month or so. My plan was to sit in my shooting shed and properly break in the new rig. I have 50 loaded round of which, the last 5 were 102grs of 869 under the 169.5 Wildcat. Hopes were that "IF" I managed to get through the breakin loads then I would hope to make it over to my buds and see if we might find something of a swine nature to try it out on.

Well I managed to get through all but 10 of the break in loads, and decided that since I only had enough patches for one more good cleaning that I would bite the bullet and set the zero for the 169.5 load. It took two shots to get it in line and a third to confirm. It was then cleaned and I sent one round down the pipe for a fouling round.

THis morning I had planned to get an early start on our foodplots and spray the areas with Roundup, but instead it was overcast and too humid to waste the spray on the wet weeds. So we packed up and headed down to my buds place. We weren't there long when he decided to load up and see what we could rustle up. So we got in their dune buggy sort of Rat Patrol style with the bi-poded AM sticking up and over the front end. I reserved putting a round in it until we actually found something due to the great trigger job that was done on it. After we hit the main set of woods and saw but didn't get a shot on some. I decided that when we got into the second stretch, I would go ahead and chamber one.

It didn't take long till we saw the contrasting black on grey which stopped us cold. I climbed out with all sorts of advice coming in from behind me. There were several pigs through the wood at around 100yds. but it was going to take extreme accuracy to put a bullet into one and anchor it on the spot. I settled the croshair on one finially after a few tense minutes getting into position. I ended up resting my elbow on my knee in order to keep enough height to clear a little rise in between me and the pigs. At the shot, the one I had aimed for rolled almost completely over, and one that was laying directly behind it came struggling towards us. I had only the one bullet so my bud tried to hit it as it made it's way across in front of them and over on to the neighbors place. This is a view from the pig back towards where I was when I shot,
P4010004.jpg

Here is the exit hole before we drug the pig out and loaded it up,
P4010005.jpg

Here is a shot for you inquiring minds on a close up hit from a Wildcat 169.5 right through the tough stuff,
Impact,
P4010009.jpg

Exit,
P4010008.jpg

Now bear in mind this was only 100 or so yards, the following one was much more better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So after we got the first one dressed out and into the cooler, we were cleaning things up and my bud Tim hollers hey there are some more coming out in the pasture behind the barn. Well I had one more of those good loads sitting in the box so we said what the hell. I went and got the rifle and my last good load, and a blanket to lay on. I stretched out and aquired the target, and then noticed several more coming out as well. I waited till two were lined up, and touched the trigger.

Now I had only shot 3 of these at paper, and that was only at 100yds. The zero was set 2.5" high and I wasn't all so sure of the range of this hog. So instead of holding up or centered, I decided to hold the first line up on the Nightforce NP-R2. I figured that if they shot a little high I would hit and same if a little low. Well the low part won out.

At the shot, there was a second or so delay then the ground thumped under me and I heard the resounding WHOP echo back to the barn. Pigs went every direction, except one. When we rode out to take a look, this is what we found,
P4010010.jpg

Here is the official version, just so I do it right,
P4010017.jpg

P4010013.jpg

All I can say is if your looking to drop something in it's tracks, the Wildcat bullets will surely do that and then some. Sorry I didn't get a recovery, but hey, I've only shot two critters with them so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can hardly wait till next weekend to head up and try for more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby,
bud if it gets much better than this, I am not sure my wife is gonna like sitting around waiting for me to come in from the woods. I am already looking forward to getting some drops next weekend and seeing what comes out then.

Richard, all I can say is DAMMIT man those things do a number.

Hope this is just the beginning of what might be a great and long lasting friendship, and learning experience./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike:

Sorry the new AM isn't working out for you. Kinda looks like it's not quite enough gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You've got 'er blooded, so it's an official huntin rig now. Congrats on your quick success and I'm glad to hear that the Wildcats are working out good for you. Another grain or two of powder and maybe it'll not only gut them for you but skin them as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I told you the hogs would be in trouble and it looks like your fun is just beginning. I wish we had a few of those critters around here to fill in the voids between hunting seasons.

Keep us posted on the upcoming hog successes. You've got the point blank stuff out of the way so now it's time to finish testing and pop some porkers at looong range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike,
Congrats!
Kirby and Richard make quite a team.
Just reading and seeing the pics makes me more anxious. I'm not quite old enough for an AM, but Kirby is building me a 7mm Dakota in a center-grip XP-100. I have been forcing myself not to get too excited, but you guys aren't helping any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats, Mike! Nothing like drawing blood on the first outing (unless it would be drawing guts, instead)! I think you are the offical proud owner of a Hawg Hammer! I don't think I've ever seen such a mess made out of a hog! Are you sure your back can take it? Maybe you should just send it to me and let me take the punishment for awhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am not going to call Kirby! I am not going to call Kirby!
I am not going to call Kirby! I am not going to call Kirby! I am not going to call Kirby!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yep, it gonna be hard to keep taking that thing out to the country and shooting pigs with it, but I think in time I will just have to accept it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is the second outing with the Wildcats, the first was a boar, bout the same size as that first sow pictured here. THe bullet was the 257 - 130gr bonded core flatbase. The shot was about 75 yds and hit point on, the left shoulder blade, and exited through the whole right ribcage. The hog, at the shot, did a complete back flip and that was that. Needles to say, when you can flip a 150# hog end over backwards, your dumping some serious energy.

XP,
I know where your coming from, I was there all of last year. First was the saving part, then the deciding on what to get and how to get it done, then the wait till it showed up. Trust me you will not be disappointed, and if it makes you feel any better, I will probably not be out in the woods for at least another week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dog caller,
So far the back has held up fine. I took my time and had help doing what needed to get done. TRust me when I say, I don't want to go back to where I was a month ago. As for the mess, well initially I had planned on using up a supply of 150gr BT's that I have sitting around. I am not sure but, I figured that they would do about the same if not worse. Since we don't have prairie dogs, and our "ground hogs" grow a bit bigger than most, I figured that I would need a bigger varmint bullet for them. However I am rethinking this theory.

Really, I'm okay, and I am very happy for the results you are getting. The wait has always been worth it, and I don't expect it to be any different this time.

Good goin' Mike!

"I was there all of last year. First was the saving part, <font color="blue"> (I've done that!) </font> then the deciding on what to get and how to get it done, <font color="blue">I've done both of these </font> then the wait till it showed up.<font color="blue">(Hope I'm at the short end of this part) </font>"

Now I've just gotta to head over to Shoshone and get one of those "buy a porker" shoots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mike,

Nice shooting, already pushing 500 yards with only the second shot on game. Not to bad!!!

Sounds like Richard and I need to head south and hammer some fine eating hogs with you. Its becoming my favorite wild game for the freezer!!

Again, nice shooting, she will not let you down at longer ranges I assure you!!

I agree, nothing like the smack of a Wildcat Bullet. Until you hear it for yourself its hard to explain. There is no doubt when you hear it though!!! May be a combo of the AMs and the Wildcat Bullets but I believe full well that Richards bullets have made my Allen Mags what they are.

Certianly not my Allen Mags making his bullets what they are. I am truely greatful to my good friend for his work and help with my projects, you have just been witness to why I feel that way!!!

Glad your happy so far with the rifle.

BY the way, speaking of heavy recoil, hows your rifles recoil feel??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Keep the stories coming my friend!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You didn't waste any time!!! That's a bit more dramatic than the results I got but one was @ 100 yds and the other seems to have unzipped that things guts!! Man I'm glad I'm not a hog in your neck of the woods!! I'll bet that 270 AM will claim a few more porkers before rebarreling time!!

PS- Maybe you'd better buy another freezer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Hey Kirby,

There is plaenty more where those came from. When I sht the second one there were at least 8 others out there that size, and about 2 dozen the size of a loaf of bread. I tried to get two lined up and had I held dead on, I would have had them both. But thats what it's all about. Oh and on the recoil, man that thing just pounds the crap outta your shoulder, bout like some stiff 243 loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill,
We came to the conclusion yesterday, those hogs aren't safe near or far anymore. As for the freezer, naaa, I got room already, for several more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Other than the loin or backstrap, this whole pig will be made into link sausage. Might last us a month or two. Figureing I had over 80# made up just after Thanksgiving and had to ration out the last couple of packs. We just ran out two weeks ago. Gotta love it.

Looks **** nice Mike, sorry you were undergunned for hogs though!!!! HA HA HA

I went out to some land of ours around here and found some hog sign, not as much as I would like but i will take what I can get.

A buddy of mine seen your pics and his exact words were " good God you coulnt of done worse with dynamite!!!"

good job

steve

Well I told ya I was going after our version of ground hogs, and thats what happens to all of the PD's and GH's I seen posted. I just figured that is what they were supposed to look like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now that I have a couple down with the AM, I need to break in that 454. I want to see one roll after being hit with it.

Of course I did like the looks of the first one a LOT better, but hey, I bet it would have only taken half the time to finish cleaning the last one, than it took to do the first one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You can bet I wil be up there again this weekend with a few more of those 102gr. loads, to check out and verify drops. I am definately looking forward to reaching on out with this thing. Your right though, it just seems like a chip shot that close. LOL I guess I should have titled it "How to gut a hog in under a minute". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.