2nd and 3rd rifles for hunt?

I'd go a completely different direction. I'd leave the saum at home, and use the 338-06 as my first gun and the 300wsm as the back-up, but that's just me.

As someone else who likes odd calibers, go with the 9.3 x 62, and I'll bet that Sauer would shoot very well with Hammer bullets.

After hunting Wyoming elk for 45 years I believe it's not the caliber it's the ability of a caliber to shoot a well constructed bullet that can break an elk shoulder if needed. I used a 338 wm with 225 grain bullets for years, but have used my 300wsm and a 180 triple shock since it arrived on the scene with good results. IMHO

After hunting Wyoming elk for 45 years I believe it's not the caliber it's the ability of a caliber to shoot a well constructed bullet that can break an elk shoulder if needed. I used a 338 wm with 225 grain bullets for years, but have used my 300wsm and a 180 triple shock since it arrived on the scene with good results. IMHO
I've pretty much set my mind on Hammers or Accubonds for durability. I've got 175 Berger elite hunters and 155 HH's for the saum. Both shoot very good. I'd say I shoot the saum the best, maybe most confidence, that's why it's first choice. Who knows, after I spend some more time behind some of these others that might change.

Last edited:
Years back on a guided combo Elk / Mulie hunt my beloved .270win did not make it off the plane. The outfitter told my guide to give me his backup rifle. I was miserable. A Remington 600 Mohawk in .243win. Under gunned much? The guide grilled me on my shooting skills and gave me good numbers over distances. He found me a 6x6 elk just inside a treeline at 165yds. Told me where to hold and I let er fly. A puff of dust off the fur signaled a hit, the bull walked in a circle, about 50ft. I was ready to put another round in it but the guide said to hold off, and sure enough it went down on its knees and laid over on its side. Significant parts of both lungs and the bottom of the heart were jelly. I think it was loaded with 100gr Swift A-frames. I had some new respect for the little .243win. Also filled out my tag on two mulies, one at over 450 yds. Dropped in their tracks. When I got home I couldn't find a Rem 600 in .243 so I bought a Model Seven. It's been my backup rifle ever since. I do not feel under gunned with it at all and its nice and light and will shoot the warts off a pickle at 200yds consistently. I had to use it once when a horse fell and rolled on my rifle in its scabbard damaging the scope. Again in that instance the .243 served me well. With me it was all about what I could afford and shoot well with.

An article on the 9.3x62. Sounds like you have a very narrow muzzle/terminal velocity window on this cartridge that would take a lot of time to develop a load that stretches the window out to get good terminal performance. I'd opt for the 338-'06 if it is ready to go.

I would say go with whatever you already have or can find ammo for as a starter. Time flies when you are getting ready for a scheduled hunt. I like the 9.3x62 and have always thought PPU rifle ammo was pretty decent. There might even be some sitting on a shelf some where that you can buy. You did not mention the bullet weight, but if it's adequate for elk (in your backup rifle), then you have a good start. You could build some premium handloads with the Hammers if you find the time. Same goes for the 338-06...

I drew a Wyoming elk tag for unit 39. I will be bringing my 7 saum and I always bring one additional rifle, sometimes two. The saum is pretty much ready to go but I'll have to come up loads and get more trigger time behind whatever else I decide to bring with. Here are my options currently in the safe.

7x57AI with 160 AB's. Shoots great and I'm getting 2835fps with current load

338-06 with? I have loaded up 225 AB's to around 2650-2700fps. Thought about trying 180 AB's or maybe hammers.

9.3x62 with 250 AB's? I've seen a few recipes out there that will get around 2600fps but I haven't loaded up anything for this one yet. I've got dies and components now to do so. Only ran factory PPU through it so far.

300wsm. I know this will work with a lot of options. But there's something about using a bellybutton gun that steers me away.

I have a custom 338 LM improved being built but I don't think I'll be seeing it until October-November.

Just looking for some opinions. I haven't hunted this unit but I believe it's safe to say shots should be in the 150-500 yard range.
Got the same issue here just doing Montana.

7 rem mag running 139 hornady whitetail ammunition.

.300 win mag running 150 hornady whitetail ammunition.

.280 Ackley improved running 150 ablr or 160 ab Nosler ammunition. Let a friend mount the optics well needless to say that was a bad idea.

of the three the 280 ai has the best optics and least weight. New rings are in route just need mounting and range time. The 300 about the same weight good optics and proven. The 7mm rem mag 4.5 x 14 optics same as 300 proven as well but she is a big ole gal but a **** fine shooter. The tags are combo deer and elk. Advise is good, have a variety of stuff to reload with but last time reloading was thirty years ago I forgot more than I remember and I have a rather large cache of the afore mentioned factory loads.

best of luck on your hunt

Since you like to be a bit different, and considering the choices you suggested we choose from, I would lean toward the 7x57AI. It clearly has the ability to take anything you'd encounter, and you indicated that it met the right weight restrictions. If it enhances your comfort and confidence level, I say go for it and great luck [prefaced by the right amount of preparation]. I always remind myself of Gary Players words; "It seems like the harder I work, the luckier I get".

Last edited:
We usually have at least 1 backup rifle in out hunting parties, so maybe another another member of the group has a viable option...
I've got options and won't rely on someone else's rifle. I'm just undecided and like to hear what others have to say. I maybe looking into it too much. The 7x57AI is ready to go while I'd have to play around with my other three and come up with a load. That's why I started the thread, if I go to the 338-06, 9.3, or 300 I need to start now with load development.