2nd and 3rd rifles for hunt?

338weatherby

I drew a Wyoming elk tag for unit 39. I will be bringing my 7 saum and I always bring one additional rifle, sometimes two. The saum is pretty much ready to go but I'll have to come up loads and get more trigger time behind whatever else I decide to bring with. Here are my options currently in the safe.

7x57AI with 160 AB's. Shoots great and I'm getting 2835fps with current load

338-06 with? I have loaded up 225 AB's to around 2650-2700fps. Thought about trying 180 AB's or maybe hammers.

9.3x62 with 250 AB's? I've seen a few recipes out there that will get around 2600fps but I haven't loaded up anything for this one yet. I've got dies and components now to do so. Only ran factory PPU through it so far.

300wsm. I know this will work with a lot of options. But there's something about using a bellybutton gun that steers me away.

I have a custom 338 LM improved being built but I don't think I'll be seeing it until October-November.

Just looking for some opinions. I haven't hunted this unit but I believe it's safe to say shots should be in the 150-500 yard range.

Bring a backup rifle that you have as much confidence in as your first choice. One that you're comfortable with and have complete confidence in making shots at the distances you will encounter. Velocity shouldn't be as important as bullet selection and shot placement. Good luck!!
I like them all confidence wise. the 7x57AI would be nice at 7 lbs hunt ready if needed. The 9.3 gives a feeling of confidence just looking at the loaded round 😁 and I know the 338-06 is a proven round.

If you are a road pirate hunter..whatever floats your boat...

If you trek miles on feet..and pack the needs to take care of said critters in the hills...lightess rifle you shoot well.....

Because a pack full if meat makes that liteweight rifle extremely heavy...very quickly....

2nd & 3rd rifles...dont really matter..unless you smash your first....

If you are a road pirate hunter..whatever floats your boat...

If you trek miles on feet..and pack the needs to take care of said critters in the hills...lightess rifle you shoot well.....

Because a pack full if meat makes that liteweight rifle extremely heavy...very quickly....

2nd & 3rd rifles...dont really matter..unless you smash your first....
Agree. I pack in, not hunt from truck, there is always the risk of falling and tweaking rifle. The 7x57 was built for packing so that probably answers the question. Was thinking of trying some Hammers to go for more speed?

You have a very serious first world problem on your hands.

I'd say 300wsm but since you have so many bellybutton's then perhaps the 338-06.

I'll be taking my trusted 30 nosler loaded with 230 bergers and hope I receive my latest build in time for load work. It's a 7 suam with a 20 inch tube cut for 180 vlds.

If it's not ready I'll take my 45-70 which shoots a consistent 5-6 inches at 300 yards. That doesn't sound good by our bolt standards but poi is always spot on.

You have a very serious first world problem on your hands.

I'd say 300wsm but since you have so many bellybutton's then perhaps the 338-06.

I'll be taking my trusted 30 nosler loaded with 230 bergers and hope I receive my latest build in time for load work. It's a 7 suam with a 20 inch tube cut for 180 vlds.

If it's not ready I'll take my 45-70 which shoots a consistent 5-6 inches at 300 yards. That doesn't sound good by our bolt standards but poi is always spot on.
I'm not knocking the 300 at all. It's been on a couple mule deer hunts with me and was great. I've only loaded up 165 and 168 BT's for it and will need to come up with a load that shoots well. Time will fly between now and October so I need to start load development for one of these. Summer is pretty much spent running all over with both girls for softball.

Congrats on the draw, i researched 39 also when my 10points started burning a hole in my pocket. I missed the draw completely while in the hospital with a stroke. Spent most of the winter in there.
I am now looking for the leftover list but the g&f site is not kicking out the elk list for me. Everytrip I make has me taking a main rifle & 2 spares. All of your choices will be adequate. I'm partial to the 7x57A.I. as i have a 257 Bob a.I. & a 6.5x257 Bob a.i., both are based on 7x57 brass. As others Said.; I would go with the lightest weight that i can shoot the best and most consistent.
I'm curious to hear how 39 goes for you, looking forward to next years choice.