.284w vs 7-08 COL 2.992

TheDugg

Hi! I have an oppurtunity to rebarrel a short action rifle that allows 2.992 cartridges. Im thinking 24 inch barrel and 140-168 grains bullets for deerhunting. First I was thinking 284w but then I realize that a 7-08 would perform really good with this col and barrellength with less powder. How much would i gain with 284w and 162 amax over 7-08?

I would think around a 100-200 fps which is lots more in terms of energy BUT there's a lot more than that to look at in choosing a cartridge...... Here I go again talking brass, both can be found with not much searching for the most part, it's the tomorrow that worries me. For whatever reason I 'be never gotten a great shooting 6.5/284, one day it shoots amazing the next I'm throwing it out the window. The 7/08 is always nice to me, maybe not 1/2 inch groups but more than good enough for long range hunting to a limit, say 600/700 yards. A tough choice between these two, heart or brain..now the question which gets which label ??? It never ends does it .... Lol

Yes brass is the big issue. 200fps is also worth keeping in mind but 7-08 wins when it comes to brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.