284 win build w 195 berger

Have Barrel, And a Reamer coming from PTG a .std 284 Win match reamer with a .501 base (.200 from bolt face), w a .317 neck and .212 free bore. my loaded round with light turned Lapua brass is .312, so I'll have 0.0025 clearance on ea ch side.
The Reamer is already made, someone wanted but changed their mind on.
So no wait on it being made. being shipped.
I have lots of H4350, ext, pound of re-17 and 2.5 lbs of H4831. I know everyone talks about H4831sc. but no one on earth now has it. not around here or the internet. But reg H4831 ext is EVERYWHERE. I hope my case has enough room for a 54 - 56 grains of H4831 w the 180's

PROGRESS REPORT

Well the 284 project is almost done. I sent my barrel, action, lug, reamer go gauge in 12 days age and Eric Bostrom had it back in no time. the 8 twist 5R 30 inch krieger barrel with a tuner brake should be a good combo, I glass bedded it last night in a new choate tactiical stock. These new choates have full bedding blocks and are stifff. I bedded around lug area and back by the rear tang. the action snugs down on the alu V bedding block quite nice, but I wanted to make sure my recoil lug was snug up to the stock also. Bedded the 20 moa base up to the top of action at same time. (release agent in action).

I have not installed the Jewell trigger yet.
I have Burris Lee Signature insert type rings 30mm w std and 2 x 10 moa inserts.
The Scope I have is a new Sightron SIII 8-32x56mm MOA-H rct (non-illuminated)

The rifle is 52 inches long, been looking for a case for it, I want a canvis type, not a hard case as it sits behind my truck seat best.
have 100 x 180 Hybrids and 400 x 195 Berger EOL's t play with.
Want to try some of the sierra 183's in my 8 twist. I'll try and post some pics soon as I get er all setup

What countour did you go with?

a heavy varmint, 1.25 breach, .900 muzzle.

Going to try and get rings and scope mounted w level on it maybe today or next. I still have to clean out action screws, scope base of wax/release agent and blue loc tite em
figure out my COAL with the 195's and 180 hybrids I have then work some starting loads.

It's coming together slowly.

I'm not sure, but somehow I'd like to add some weight to the stock... maybe a steel plate between stock and recoil pad or drill a 3/4 inch hole in the back of stock 6 in deep fill with lead.. This thing is front heavy bigtime-
like to add about 3-4 lbs to back of gun. any ideas?

I added 6" of 1" lead rod to my heavy 6 BR which helped some.

A 1" x 9" piece is 3 lbs. A 3/4" x 6" piece isn't going to get you to your targeted weight.

source for lead rod:

Lead Cast Rods 99.9% Price Per Foot

I considered fluting the barrel to balance the rifle. Looked into mercury recoil reducers but they are not that heavy.

looked around and found this comparison:

Osmium - 22.61 g/cm³
Iridium - 22.65 g/cm³
Platinum - 21.45 g/cm³
Gold - 19.3 g/cm³
Tungsten - 19.25 g/cm³
Lead - 11.34 g/cm³
Mercury - 13.534 g/cm³
Silver - 10.49 g/cm³

Perhaps a piece of tungsten rod? It is ONLY $562 for a 1" x 12" piece. Compared to platinum or gold it is a deal. <grin>

Buy Tungsten Rods Online

Thanks for the info AZ, the gun is together, just need to mic the bullet/case to get COAL values and start some loads.
I drilled ouit my wood stock varmint 25-06 Ruger VT Mk2 varmint with a 1 inch drill bit probably inches into the back of the laminated stock.. poured melted lead into it to add weight.. did this like 18 years ago.. man did the stock get HOT.. I hurried and dipped rear stock in bucket of cold water. I think your idea is better lead rods.

Wow! Molten lead into the stock! We all have those moments. Luckily we survive them.

I didn't always do it the right way, still do not at times.. Been fighting with COAL for my 284, tried loading a fired round (fired only one) w a bullet snugged into it to get oal, but measurement was all over.
Then I did the cleaning rod down the empty barrel to the bolt, mark on tape on cleaning rod, then messure round with bullet inserted mark tape on the rod measured each one, came out with 3.255 for the 195 berger and 3.240 for the 180 hybrids.
made up 2 dummy rounds

Going to go out and break in bbl the fire once, clean out w sweets + cleaner routine, while in doing so, fire forming my brass. and getting it sighted in.

with my 20 moa base, and 10 moa burris ring incest at the back ring along with my long spacing between rings, I hope to get extra 25-27 moa. it will be close with the scopes 70 moa adjustment The Scope MOA-H recticle has hash marks all the way down the glass @ bottom crosshair. mostly never go past 1000 yards, but should be able to get to 1 mile, if I ever feel like going there.
The jewell trigger I installed on it is better than any trigger I owned, not sure what it's at.. est maybe 8 oz. (goes from 1.5 oz to 3 lbs).

more to come later

RANGE RESULTS !!

The gun is together, and I took it to the tange this weekend, Sat, and Sunday (today)

The 1st day, took a few rounds to get it sighted it. the Sightron Scope has 70 moa adjustment, I am using a 20 moa base, and use both 10 MOA inserts that came with the Burris Lee Signature Rings, up in the back low in the front. the Rings are spaced out more than normal so I would guess I am getting close to 15 MOA out of them.. Well
with the elevation bottomed out, I get 1.5 inch high at 100 yards w the 195 and about 1.75 w the 180 Hybrids.
leaves me with 70 MOA for scope and at 24x I have 10 x 2 MOA (20 moa) hash marks on the scope. total 90 moa, needed for 1760 yards = 81 moa
So I can get to a mile 1760 yards if I need.

Groups.. Well at 1st the the 195's didn't do too well.. 3 shot groups was 0.451, 0.673, 0.970, 0.850 and 1.1 inches. w flyers

I wondered if it was the gun, scope, bedding etc or me.. Rusty with bad eye's.
I tried the few 180's I brought, the groups was all under an inch 0.610 being the worst one. a 0.585 and a 0.283 (center to center) 3 shots.

Trying to figure out why the 195's are more picky. I noticed the 195 go below the shoulder of the brass when loaded and the 180 above, there is a pressure ring at this point you can fell when you push a pullet into a fired piece of brass.

Everyone says load into neck and not below the shoulder neck junction!!!
They are not kidding, using 6.5x284 brass magnifies the problem worse as necking up uses some of the thicker shoulder area for the neck.
Keep in mind I Reamed the inside necks and outside turned the brass a little. Didn't seem to help.
This pressure in the shoulder area you can fell when you close the bolt on the rifle (.317 neck chamber and .312 on a loaded round. but still there.

What I did was take my fired brass, using a 204 and .257 reamer and scrape the inside neck where the shoulder neck area is, then take the 7mm reamer (by hand) and apply pressure in that area w a cant.. the brass cleaned up nice and the bullets slide all the way in.. Also I adjusted my Redding bushing neck die to only size the neck down to just a mm or so above shoulder.

I too it to the Range Sunday and the results "Big Improvement!" No more flyers. What I think was happening was the pressure in brass when bolt closed deformed the bullet slightly.

Results day 2-- 195's 0.675 and 0.580 in 3 shot groups, I let my my friend Mike shoot it. As I have only 20/40 vision and he has eye's that are 15 yrs younger (20/15 Vision) his results (only one group) 195 group 0,535.

Then we went on to the 180 Hybrids I let him do the shooting and challenged him to best my 0.283 group w the 180's the day before. his results 2 groups was 0.575 in and 0.248 inch 3 shots

Using a cheap Hoppe's front rest and a plain leather sand bag in rear.

These are just 3 shot groups and not a lot of them, but it's a good start,

Clearly the 180's Hybrids are a little more accurate than the 195's at 100 yards..
But the 195's are holding there own.
MV FPS was 2835 fps w the 180's and 2710 fps w the 195's 0.015 off 55.0 and 53.5 H4831. I think I can tinker w seating depth and charge weight to tweak the loads out a little more., the Tuna-able brake I have not even adjusted yet.

Right now just being over 1/2 moa for the 195's I' happy with it.
I ordered a box of the new Sierra 183's with avg BC of .703 should be interesting.

We have had like 50 mph winds so going out and stretching it's legs at 600-1000 yards will have to come later.. the Fields we go at to do this are flooded.

Ready to try the 195grn Berger 7mm. The SD is 345. That's higher than a 250grn 338 Berger. Can you say penetration. This thang is Gona hit like a hammer. Checked the SD on a 220grn 30 call bullet it has 330 SD. 7 mag and 300 win mag push these bullets close to the same velocity. So it look good for the 7mm fans.

My buddy couldn't get better than .75" at 100 yards with the 195's in his STW but just shot under 3" at 600 yards so I think the big bullets need longer to stabilize.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.