.284’s First Blood

Jud96

I was able to get it done this evening during West Virginia's early antlerless rifle season! My .284 I built this past winter/spring did the job. For those that aren't familiar with this build, it's a Remington 700 LA, Remington ADL Laminated stock I bedded and installed pillars in, tuned Remington trigger, 26" Bartlein #3 1-8 twist 5R barrel, Hawkins 3 port brake blended to the barrel, Leupold rings and base, and a Vortex HS-T 4-16x44. My load is 175gr Berger Elite Hunters, 54.2gr of RL23, Peterson brass, Federal 210M, seated at 3.175" 0.050 off the lands. My muzzle velocity is 2855fps, single digit SD's, and 3/8 MOA or less groups. It was also chambered with the 284 Norma Match reamer with 0.208 freebore and that's designed for Norma brass, but also works with Peterson. I turn my necks as well.

On to the hunt. I watched a couple heavy deer trails in the woods and headed to watch over some hay fields around 5:00 PM. Just as I got to the woods edge, I spotted 4 deer towards the back of the field. I slowly moved towards a small rise in the field to setup for the shot. After crawling and easing my way to the spot, I got in position with my bipod and homemade rear sand bag :D.

I ranged the deer I picked out with my SIG and got between 340-350 yards multiple times. I dialed 4 MOA for 350 yards on my Vortex, made sure I had a clear firing lane through the grass, and prepared for the shot. I placed the reticle just on the back of her shoulder. She was quartering towards me and I slowly squeezed off the shot. I watched her get hit through the scope, saw dirt fly behind her, and heard the thump of the bullet smacking her. She dropped down for a second and started trotting and I thought she was going to go down any moment. She managed to run 75-100 yards before expiring.

When I got up to her and examined my shot placement, I realized she was more quartered towards me then I had thought. The bullet hit about 2" behind the shoulder and about 2" above center. It exited on the second to last rib on the offside and left about a golf ball sized hole in the hide, but there was about a 2-3" hole in the ribs and in one of the lungs.

The shot placement was off a few inches from where I wanted it, but I think the angle she was on just threw me off. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the shot and happy with the bullet's performance. A larger blood trail would have been nice, but I only destroyed one lung, the other lung had a few cuts on it, and the stomach was destroyed as well. I'm happy with how the hunt went and how the Berger performed. This was my first deer taken with a high power rifle using something other than a Hornady bullet and the first time I've ever used a Berger on anything other than paper and rocks. I'll continue to use them.

Below is a picture of the entrance hole, and a picture of the deer. I forgot to take a picture of the exit wound though. :rolleyes:

B0080ADC-C04C-46C4-AC49-97A5B82EABE0.jpeg
D1C7AA91-F7F7-466B-9D37-85B868E80E1E.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.