First groups with 6.5-284 LSR

WoW, never have I had such a group. Chris did one hell of a good job I'd say. Great Job, it's definitely a keeper.

Very nice Lablover, but did I miss the bullet weight somewhere on this thread?

If it is a 140, your load of 50.0 grains WILL, over time, loosen your primer pockets-so just a heads up my friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Goodgrouper

I'm shooting the Sierra 142 gr bullets.

Still the same on primer pockets??

Joe

Yes.
I have even found that during the summer, RL22 at 50.0 grains just slightly loosens pockets and RL22 has a slower burn rate than H4831 does. The quicker powder has a faster pressure peak curve. However, Lapua brass can handle the high pressure for a very long time as it is very tough brass and starts out with very tight pockets anyway but nothing is infallible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yes.
I have even found that during the summer, RL22 at 50.0 grains just slightly loosens pockets and RL22 has a slower burn rate than H4831 does. The quicker powder has a faster pressure peak curve. However, Lapua brass can handle the high pressure for a very long time as it is very tough brass and starts out with very tight pockets anyway but nothing is infallible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont believe everything you read on the charts!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a lot of cases with 7 firings of 51.6-51.9g of h4831SC OAL to Ogive = 3.415

Pockets still very much tight -- just have to anneal to get back to my 0.0007" neck tension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

[ QUOTE ]
However, <font color="red"> Lapua brass can handle the high pressure for a very long time </font> as it is very tough brass and starts out with very tight pockets anyway but nothing is infallible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

7 Firings is all? Lets talk again when you have about 20 firings like some of my cases do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I load my cases to be competetive, not to see how long i can keep the brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Said cases belong to my 1K BR light gun.

Annealing was done last night -- will see how they fare on their 8th firing saturday.

BTW -- 51.9 of h4831sc only gives me about 2930 out of a 29" barrel so it is NOT really a hot load.

YMMV,
JB

Sounds like my lot of H4831sc must be a little quicker burning than yours. When I used that much of it, I got a tad over 3150 fps from my 30 inch barrel and my bolt was sticky-but you and I shoot in totally different climates. I shoot nearly a mile higher in the sky than you do! And I am willing to bet that you shoot in much wetter air than I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like my lot of H4831sc must be a little quicker burning than yours. When I used that much of it, I got a tad over 3150 fps from my 30 inch barrel and my bolt was sticky-but you and I shoot in totally different climates. I shoot nearly a mile higher in the sky than you do! And I am willing to bet that you shoot in much wetter air than I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would humidity matter?: More humid = less dense air

Im guessing you have a hot lot -- hell i can get 50gns of H4350 without being hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why would humidity matter?: More humid = less dense air

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a br shooter, I am surprised that you have not heard of this before. Humidity changes everything from internal ballistics to external ballistics. When there is a humidity change, a lot of close range br shooters and long range shooters(myself included) will change powder charges to compensate or change powders entirely-going from say 8202 to 322 to change pressures back to their "sweet spot".
When I hunt chucks at 10,000 feet, my load is totally different than what it is for 5,000 foot gong shoots.
Externally, some guns that are on the ragged edge of stabilization in low humidity will not make it to the target or keyhole the target in high humidity. In my experience, humidity plays about as big of a role in this as air temp sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.