.280 Remington - need some help

sharktown

I have a Jaeger Hunter in .280 Remington with a 22 inch barrel on a Mauser action and a Bell an Carlson carbon fiber stock that is not bedded only inletted with a Leupold 3.5x10 scope.
Had it built by Jaeger back in 1989 and have taken my share of deer and a couple of elk with it, it's been a good rifle and I have been good out to around 200- 250yds and I don't know why I hadn't bedded the stock all these years.
Now I don't hunt much at all but I like long range shooting at targets or steel plates but my rig is not the greatest at 500-600 yds. and could use some work - bedding and a better stock being number one and my long range skills number two. The stock does not seem very rigid to me and I think I could use a more stable stock for starters.
I'm thinking of a longer 26" barrel, laminated stock, glass bedding, target turrets for the scope and a bipod for starters and to keep cost reasonable.
Any suggestions from the long range group out there? Any favorite loads for this cartridge for the yardage suggested?
Had another project I was thinking of but canned it for this one instead.

Sharktown

Sounds like you got the right idea with the 26" barrel, I am personally a fan of a b&c aluminum bedded stock, and if you decide to put a bi-pod on your weopon I can tell you from past experiance not to settle for a cheap one, it will do you more harm than you would think. I like a good harris bi-pod

If you replace the barrel, have it chambered for .280 AI. If it hasn't already been done, have the action face trued, the bolt face trued, and have the bolt lugs lapped. I like the aluminum bedding block equipped B&C synthetic stocks. If you want a laminated stock and are up to doing the work yourself, get a Boyd's stock and pillar bed the action in the stock.

Where loads are concerned, I would give the Hornady 162g AMAX, and the Berger 168g and 180g VLD's a try.

As a bang-for-the-buck scope choice, I am a Nikon fan. The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 scope can be had for a bit over $300 with a Mil-Dot reticle and target turrets.

bamma slammer & benchracer -

Thank you for your input as it is much appreciated and very helpful.

Sharktown

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.