.280 mountain rifle. can I reasonalbly push the 168gr berger?

Bullet length for the AMAX is 1.42". Me giving you a COAL won't do much, you'll want to work that out according to your mag and throat constraints.

I'm using 57.5gr of 7828ssc and CCI 200s. I could probably bump it up a skosh, but it does around 2820fps from my 22" barrel, so that's fine for me. Work up to that, its likely above max.

I've since kind of given that rifle to my sister to hunt with, but I still take it out and shoot it hard. Have fun with yours, it's a great cartridge in a great rifle.

Just a FYI, in manual number 5, Nosler lists a max load of IMR7828ssc at 58.5gr with the 160 AB and PT, which have a longer bearing surface and more friction than the A-Max. They list a velocity of 2942fps with their test rifle.

Thanks Jordan. I've been thinking I could bump the load up with how easy extraction is and how long my case life has been. I'll see how it shoots as I bump up...

I get excellent case life with 60gr at 2950fps, but if your rifle is happy where it's at, then an extra 100fps isn't going to make or break you :)

i shoot 168 out of my 7 , but i shoot a lot of 140s also. their speed more than makes up the difference until you get our quite ways.

I'm going to throw some Wipe-Out down the tube and start up on some new development with that 162 and 7828 :D Might as well dink with it. I've got 2 antelope to whack this year, and I wanna' stretch the legs a bit!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.