.280 AI Magazines?

redneckclimbing

I am wanting to build a .270 AI and definitely want to go with a DBM setup. I figured you guys shooting the 280 are basically the same. Any 270 shooters out there feel free to chime in as well.

My main concern is with some of the .30-06 based magazines, when you blow the shoulder forward do they still fit, with the ribs that run down the side of most magazines?

I think that ideally you would have a magazine where the ribs in the magazine held the case to the rear without any real play. Throat the barrel and seat the bullet where it would touch the lands but not run into the front of the magazine under recoil. (If that makes sense?)

Is this possible with anything you guys are running? I am mainly interested in the single stack, single feed magazine types.

My first 280ai started life as a factory Rem 700 280 DBM. I had no issues with feeding. I put it in a HS precision stock using the factory DBM. I sold it to fund a custom 280ai so I suspect it should still be out there feeding and shooting without issue.

My first 280ai started life as a factory Rem 700 280 DBM. I had no issues with feeding. I put it in a HS precision stock using the factory DBM. I sold it to fund a custom 280ai so I suspect it should still be out there feeding and shooting without issue.

Are these the factory magazines with the lavers on both sides?

Thanks for the answers. I will say that HS Precision looks nice. I like when they fit at least fairly flush like that.

Is there some kind of a rib in those that keeps the bullet from slamming into the front of the magazine?

My 280AI rebarrel was of a Sako Model 75 that was a 270 Win

I did not have any problem with the magazine but it was not detachable, just a drop floor plate type

However because of the 3 lug configuration of the Sako bolt, I did have a problem with the bottom lug hitting the raised body/shoulder junction on the top case in the magazine. Probably a pretty rare problem if not unique but wanted to throw that out there

The solution was to bevel that lug and it still contacts but not as much and doesn't cut into / mark up the case like before

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.