.280 AI build

IndianaMatt

I have made a decision and and then had buyers remorse so I changed my decision.

I purchased a Sendero in .25-06 and returned it unshot this week...

I REALLY want a .280 AI. I have researched the over the counter semi customs and none of them are what I want or they are way out of my price range.

So now is time to have one built. I have never been down this road and do not want to make costly mistakes.

What is my first step here? I have a pretty decent idea of what I want. I do not know of a gunsmith in my area.

Thanks Matt

My idea for a budget 280 ai is to buy a tikka 7mm-08 and have a gunsmith rechamber to 280ai, buy a long action mag and bolt stop and be set. The drawbacks to this would be a 22" barrel and would be a 9.5" twist. Wouldn't be ideal for the 180's. But I think would be a nice fit for the 168's. Unless I find a deal on something else, this will be my next rifle. But if you want to be able to shoot the heavies, probably not a good option.

I was thinking about finding an action (not sure what I want yet) and buying a Kreiger barrel. I have always been told the barrel and chamber job are the most important part of a rifle.

Then have that bedded in something like a Greyboe stock.

Not sure how to find an action, what twist, what length, or who could do the work?

I built 2 of them, one on a savage action and the other on a stevens. Barrels from PacNor, 26 inches, brakes from JP, very pleased with the results. Velocities are just slightly slower than my 7rem mag using the same bullets and powder. The 280 AI is a real treat without the big appetite for powder.

If you are looking for a action, look at Defiance or a Borden. Just remember to keep weight in mind when you do the build. I just had a rifle built from GAP and with the scope choice I made the rifle to heavy. I had a barrel from Bartlin 26" 3b and a Nightforce Nxs 5.5-22 56mm and a Bell & Carlson stock with 4 flush cups and a Timmney trigger. The action is mage by Defiance for GAP TEMPLER action with a 20moa base. With all this the rifle weight was 11 1/2 lbs. I love the rifle they built for me at $3000. With a custom action it was worth it. It's Gap non typical hunting rifle. If not looking for a full custom looking a Nosler Patriot they come in 280ai. I have one in 6.5x284 Norma and it shoots great. Sorry for the long winded messages just don't want you to spend your money and regret anything.
Good luck,
Jason

Like Bfish22 said if I lived next to Pierce actions I would talk to him. His actions are very nice. You would be very happy with a rifle that he built.
Jason

Lansing is about a 7 hour drive. I live close to the Indiana Kentucky border.

I guess I should state I'm looking to have under 2000 in the rifle and about 1000 in a scope. I know that's not a lot but it's what I can do. Is this even possible?

Remage is a Remington 700 action with an aftermarket barrel that uses a barrel but like a savage to tighten the barrel down. Popular with guys that like to do their own barrel swaps at home with a vice and some tools.

Criterion makes some prefit barrels for said applications. They are an off brand of some sorts from krieger.

If interested in a remage type setup, apache gun works will chamber and thread any barrel you want to send him for a prefit setup. I sent him a krieger barrel to chamber to a 260 for a savage and i think he did a great job and very reasonable. He stocks xcalibur blanks, but I don't have any experience with those. Northland shooters supply stocks criterion prefits

I really like the Nosler rifles they use a aftermarket barrel and you still get the rifle coated and they used to use a rifle basics trigger. The rifle is usually around $1400 and you can spend more on a scope.

I have looked Nosler. I haven't seen them that cheap. They are close to $2000 or more around here. I think the one I handled was $2495.

I also looked at Montana Rifle Co and liked them a lot. They were very close to my price range and the gentleman I talked to from there was very nice and helpful. They do not chamber in .280ai though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.