280 AI build recommendations

kynjm82

Finally found where to post on here !
I currently own several factory rifles and don't "need" anything but I'm ready to build my first custom. I have 7/08 savage on a Houge stock which is my go to deer rifle in KY & MO , a ridgeline 300WSM that I use for elk , tikka 6.5 for antelope , deer, and such. Along with numerous others in the safe's.
But I want a 280 AI , here's what I'm thinking :

defiance ruckus action

24" proof carbon sendario

Proof lightweight mtn hunter stock

trigger ??

leupold vx6 hd 3x18x44

this is my first build and I want to do it right , so what do you guys think of my list before I start ordering ??

Sounds like a solid build to me and I look forward to seeing the finished rifle. For triggers, I'd look into a TriggerTech or Timney Elite Hunter.

Thanks , I'll do that . Guess I should of included that I'm think 9 twist on barrel and shooting max 168 gr Berger

think about the 284 throated long with the 175 elites. I will be putting that together soon and i think it will run pretty well.
I have a .284 chambered with the Norma Match reamer. It has 0.208 of freebore and its perfect for the 175 Berger. I shoot RL23 in it and get 2850FPS with a 26" barrel. I use Peterson brass and it's excellent.

Tiger tech diamond or primary if you want a single stage. Two stage I'm liking my bix and Andy tacsport pro quite a bit but only have 500 or so rounds on it

Thanks guys , like I said this is my first custom and just needed so reinforcement on my choices and that I wasn't missing something or doing something silly before I start shelling out cash for my most expensive rifle to date.

Look at the defiance rebel with the hunters port or sheep port if you want real light weight. I just got two of the new ones with the integrated lug. Pretty sweet

I have four Trigger Tech triggers in my rifles so I like them but I also have Timneys which I also like. I really like the cartridge choice and I like Defiance or Kelbly even more but prefer a three lug design which for me would be a Terminus. I would personally chose a different scope, I believe the VX series Leupolds use cheaper chinese erector components and other cost saving measures that have degraded their quality. I think that Tract is one of the best scopes for the money, they use Schott HT glass and are built in a highly respect Japanese facility which I believe is the same facility that builds Nightforce. All in all though, I have a smile on my face thinking of the end product of your build.

I built a 7mm with defiance ga hunter action proof carbon 26in barrel grayboe stock and jewel trigger. Love it.

Sounds like a great build sheet.
Defiance are hard to beat. The Deviant UL and Rukus are great.
I really like Kelbly Atlas actions too.
I would look at a Manners EH stock as well. Depending on your shape preference, EH1, EH2, EH3, EH5, EH6.
Solid choice on barrel. Think about a brake on it.
Triggers: Timney Calvin Elite or TriggerTech Diamond are my two favorites.
I am a FFP guy, and not a fan of Leupold, so my scope choice would definitely be different. But I am also an optics snob, so my recommendation is pricey.

As for loads, I shoot the 175 Elite in my .280AI. I prefer it over the 168 VLD. Works great in a 1:9" too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts