280 AI Build

riverrat13

Looking for a little expert help. I have had a couple custom rifles, but they were used rifles I picked up from LRH or similar sites, however, this will will be my first venture into my own build. I am looking for a "do it all", or as close as one can come, rifle for hunting big game in North America (Grizzly and Moose excluded). I have settled on my caliber, 280 AI, and would like to stay under 9lbs bare. With that said, I am still looking for some advice on the rest of my build.

- What custom action should I go with? Lone Peak, Stiller, Defiance, Curtis, etc...
- I am a big Bartlien fan, so I am sticking with them for this build. I am thinking light palma or 3b contour.? What twist rate would you recommend for a 280 AI with the heavier 7mm bullets?
- A part of me wants to go chassis route. A lot of chassis options available in the 3lb range, XLR Evo, MPA Lite, KRG X-Ray. And it is hard to beat the adjust-ability of a chassis. If I don't go the chassis route, I will go with a Manners EH1A w/Mini-Chassis. I really don't want to go the bedded stock route.

Thoughts and opinions?

Well...i have one rechambered from a 280 rem....remington mountain rifle..noodle barrel..shoots okay..definitely not a one hole rifle...but it's really nice to carry the very slim stock....and not 9# with everything on it and in it hunting....
I think you would be better off looking at the HammerHunter bullets...better speeds and,as lots have said..very accurate......
But I do like the idea of the chassis....sexy.....

My choices in action would be the Bat HR, Borden Timberline or Kelbly Atlas
#3 contour barrel 8.5tw
Mcmillan hunter or hunters edge
I cant get into chassis.

Last edited:
I would go with an 8 twist...let's you use whatever you want. With contour, I tend to prefer a little heavier rather than a little lighter. I would go with a 4 or maybe 5.

I have a Bartlein #3b fluted on my 7RM in an EH2. It is a 1:8.5" twist and shoots the 180 & 184 Hybrids exceptionally well.

My .280AI has a Proof Sendero Light in an EH1 w. 1:9" twist. It shoots the 175 Berger ridiculously accurate. I have shot from 160 to 183s in it. All are heat seeking missles.

Last edited:
If I was building it I would go Bighorn action, 3B,1-8, MPA, although if you go with MPA order well before you need it as I waited the full 16 weeks on one and am on week 18 for another

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.