280 AI and brass forming.

Blkz06

My Short Action Customs 280 AI is on its way shortly, and I'm wondering what the best way is to get the barrel broken in, and get some brass in the process.

I'm thinking of ordering 3 packs of regular 280 REM ammo-which can be had for 23 bucks/box- just to get a rough sight in and break in the barrel. That gets me 60 pieces of fire formed brass....but will this have any negative affects on the breech, bore or barrel?

After the 280 is fire-formed...do I still run it thru a full die sizer?

Thanks in advance!

I think there's about the same percentage of top ranked competitive shooters who claim you must break in a barrel as there is that say it's a waste of time. Both sides will have proof of their beliefs.

Do you really think you need to break in your barrel?

The 280 AI erodes the origin of the rifling away about .001" for every 1 to 2 dozen shots fired. That's how much further bullets have to jump if all are seated to the same OAL.

LOL...I didn't mean I was going to shoot all 3 boxes THEN clean the barrel.

But no, I didn't do anything special other than fire 3 rounds, clean, then 4 more and clean to my Bartlein barrel on my Crescent Customs 308 and kept rolling...and its a tack driver.

Hahaha barrel break in. Makes me laugh. I have a 280 ai that I formed brass from norma 280 rem using a 140 ballistic tip and Imr 4895.

The factory ammo will work perfectly.

I always fl size, but thats my preference.

"Ha Ha, makes me laugh...." Makes me grin also. Everytime I set a new barrel up in the lathe. I keep wondering how much longer the customer's barrel would have lasted, had he broken it in. To each his own but, having spoken face to face with several of the best barrel makers in the country, I choose to heed their break-in advice.

I've heard of plenty, even run across a few, barrels who's life ended prematurely because of poor cleaning procedures.

Never run across or heard of a barrel whose life ended early because of a lack of " break in".

Some custom barrel manufacturers only post break in procedures because they get asked the question so often, not because they believe in it

Hahaha barrel break in. Makes me laugh. I have a 280 ai that I formed brass from norma 280 rem using a 140 ballistic tip and Imr 4895.

The factory ammo will work perfectly.

I always fl size, but thats my preference.

Did mine almost the same way, though used blem Midway 155 gr bullets because they were cheap.. Same brass though... I also FL size...

EddieHarren;1123927Everytime I set a new barrel up in the lathe. I keep wondering how much longer the customer's barrel would have lasted said:
My break in for my first 7stw (remmy sendero) was to shoot it to sight in, clean, and do load development... I got 1,400 rounds full power loads through it before I sold it... The barrel was visibly tired but still putting up consistent sub 1/2 moa performance with pet loads.
I have a couple of rifles I have bought used that have unknown break-ins that are well above accepted round count for the chambering (7mm and 300rum)and still shooting very well. I will replace barrels as necessary on these rigs.
I did break in my shilen barreled 7stw by playing the shoot, clean game for the first few shots. The fouling subsided within a half dozen shots so I went on my merry way and started shooting the pipe.
I think some rifles can benefit from a break in while some will not. A few shots of shoot and clean certainly will not hurt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.