forming 280 ai cases

Thanks for the input guys I think the deal is a no go. But I got all excited about it now and think I will see what I can swing with the local dealer in the way of a trade or I know someone who may be interested in buying one of my other guns so I can get the new toy. I still am trying to save for some smith work on a project in the corner but I want a new toy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hired Gun,

Thanks for your input. I spoke with my gunsmith today and he told me the exact same thing.
Do you have any load suggestions? I am thinking of starting my load development with RL22 and the Nosler 160 gr AB.
Thankd again for your help.

Regards,

JD338

I have a 6.5x280 Ackley. Cases are formed by necking down standard 280 brass to 0.264, loading a standard load, not a light one, and shooting. No need to have bullet contacting lands. You will want to use a fairly stiff charge, like medium to maximum standard 280 loads, to fireform. You will have to play with this a bit to get nice sharp shoulders on your cases. I have found Norma brass to be the best available. Win makes only nickel plated for the 280. I have also formed cases from 270 win brass (in the 6.5) by forming a false shoulder a la Gibbs. This gave me a better case to chamber fit. Lately though I have been using the Norma 280 brass with good results. It isn't cheap though.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.