280 Ackley vs 7mm Rem.

Having loaded and shot both a lot.

Pressure for pressure, the AI won't get within 200 fps of the 7 rem mag.

Having loaded and shot both a lot.

Pressure for pressure, the AI won't get within 200 fps of the 7 rem mag.

That's a little closer to my experiences with the 280 RCBS Improved (22 1/2" barrel) versus my 7mm Rem Mags (24 1/2" barrels). I'd say my 7mm RMs are more like 150 fps faster than my 280 RCBS Imp. with 140 to 150 gr bullets. But again they have longer barrels.

Is your experience in rifles with equal barrel lengths? Or did your 7RMs have longer barrels?

The 280 AI I have coming has a 28" barrel. I'll be chronographing it and I'll know how this AI compares to my 7RMs with their 24 1/2" barrels in a month or two.

Last edited:
That's with the same barrel lengths. I'll bet most AI rifles are pushing 70K plus
to get the speeds they are getting. Ackley lovers, and I are one, love to boast about how
close they can get to magnum speeds with 10 grains less powder.
Not so, at least not at the same pressures of the magnum case.

My first 280 RCBS started out as a 280 Rem then was punched to the RCBS version then I punched it out to 280 AI. 500 rounds down the tube for each version. It was a Marqaurt 26" btw.

Shooting at the same pressures, I gained about 75 maybe a 100 fps over the 280 Rem. No big deal in my book.
Outside of the lack of case stretching the improved versions are overrated.

If I was building a long barrel long range rig my preference would be the
284 Win or 7 WSM I believe for the most part they get better ES than the 06 cases but then
there is always an 06 cased rifle that will prove you to be a liar.

If I can beg one more question out of you? You shot ~500 rounds down each version so you may be in a good position to comment. Did either of the three versions of your 280 prove more accurate for you, or less finnicky to reload for than the others?

Thanks. Aren't too many people that have covered the terrain you have with the 280s in the very same rifle and barrel.

Accuracy stayed the same, I owe that to the "cut rifled" barrel by Marqaurt.

I ended up turning the barrel down from .750 to .550 and cutting it to 24".
It's throat is gone but darn if it still does not shoot accurate.

My understanding is that with cut rifled barrels you can work on them after they are rifled with
no stress added to the metal. Be it fluting or turning them down. I believe it.

Outside of longer brass life the Ackley is not really needed. You can just load
up a regular 280 Rem to higher pressures.

Thanks,
I'll be loading Lapua brass and pushing it with stout loads provided it'll shoot at those pressures.

I have been searching for a smith to do my work on my rifle, in my searching i came across what it looks like a good deal, Cooper makes a couple of 280 ackley rifles, one I believe a stainless rifle, set in a B & C Medalist stock, bedded for around MSRP $1600 or so, they also guarantee a 1/2 inch group @ 100yrds. sounds like a pretty good deal, I'll just have to see how long a waiting there is for the rifle.

Also has anyone had much experience with Cooper rifles, they look like nice guns for the money.

I have been searching for a smith to do my work on my rifle, in my searching i came across what it looks like a good deal, Cooper makes a couple of 280 ackley rifles, one I believe a stainless rifle, set in a B & C Medalist stock, bedded for around MSRP $1600 or so, they also guarantee a 1/2 inch group @ 100yrds. sounds like a pretty good deal, I'll just have to see how long a waiting there is for the rifle.

Also has anyone had much experience with Cooper rifles, they look like nice guns for the money.

Dan Cooper gave money to the Obama campaign so he'll never get any of my money. Kimber is doing a Montana in the 280 Ackley for 2009......

I don't have any 280 AI experience but have always thought it a interesting cartridge. I had the same question you have, I ended up going with the 7 Rem mag in a savage with a SSS 27" varmint contour barrel and am shooting an average fps with a 168 gr berger of 3208 using 74 grs retumbo. With fireforming loads it shot .355-.416 @ 100 haven't got to test fireformed load accuracey yet should be better. I didn't have much trouble with load developement just picked the powder the primer and bullet and loaded in .5 gr increments until one shot better than the others and didn't have high pressure signs. Hope this helps.

adam

He did, during the 2008 election timeframe, and as a result of the backlash, is no longer associated with Cooper Firearms. Gotta remember this thread is three years old...

John

I have owned both, still wished I had the ruger model 77 in the 7mag. But now I have a custom 280AI, 26" douglas barrel 1-9 twist. I have shot 162gr A-max, 140gr accubonds, 168gr berger and finally settled on the 160gr accubonds, with retumbo powder and 215M primers I am getting just over 3000fps and great accuracy. So I am very happy with it. It also has a jewell trigger that I installed and a boyds thumbhole stock. I would love to put one of those new leupold Mark 8 3.5-25 FFP scopes on it. Good luck

Could I change my Rem 280 700 into a 280 Ackley or would I need a new barrel. Also, would it be worth it to do so?

It IS possible, but your going to give up some barrel length to do it.

You would have to have the barrel set back, so that it would allow the Ackley Reamer to cut out the standard 280 chamber. How much would be lost would be depending on the chamber you have now and how tight it actually is.

That said, for just a little more money, you could pick up a new barrel in the length, contour, and make you wanted, and have it installed and chamber to the AI version.

A few years ago, when I did my 25-06 AI I picked up a Broughton 4.1 Magnum Sporter 5C for something like $350, and it has a finished lenght of 28". With the added length and case capacity, I am pretty easily driving 120gr bullets to 3350fps with no issues. Doing the same with the 208, you could surely get some VERY respectable velocities with the slower burning powders.

I considered swapping the barrel out on my Ruger 77 to a .280 AI, but after speaking to Ruger about it I decided to leave it alone. It is the older tang safety with a 26" bull barrel on it and they said they only made around 2K of them in that particular combination. It still shoots bug hole groups out to 200yds with the Hornady 139 and 162gr bullets, and I am cleaning it up to possibly pass over to one of my nephews. Being as I have a 7 RM and an STW I just don't shoot it much if any anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.