280 ACKLEY LOAD DATA NEW RIDGELINE

DD Yes i tried the AB's and compared the federals shot more consistently with different setting length and charges too.

OP Don't forget to follow Christensen's break in procedure with "premium factory loads" ;) What twist did that come in BTW?

The twist is a 1-9. I'm happy with that. The heaviest I will probably try is the 184 Berger hybrid because I have some, for my F class rifle. I have read about Christensen break in for the rifle, it's what I do. Shoot clean, shoot clean, for the first 10 round then a three shot group, clean for the first 20 rounds or till I'm tired of cleaning it.😀 I'm still waiting for my dies from Brownells they should have arrived yesterday. Keep up all the advice I have never had a post like this. On here and Accurate Shooter my post are usually a one or two hit wonder.
Thanks Jason

The twist is a 1-9. I'm happy with that. The heaviest I will probably try is the 184 Berger hybrid because I have some, for my F class rifle. I have read about Christensen break in for the rifle, it's what I do. Shoot clean, shoot clean, for the first 10 round then a three shot group, clean for the first 20 rounds or till I'm tired of cleaning it.😀 I'm still waiting for my dies from Brownells they should have arrived yesterday. Keep up all the advice I have never had a post like this. On here and Accurate Shooter my post are usually a one or two hit wonder.
Thanks Jason
Do you have a chronograph?? If so, and you're breaking the barrel in with factory ammo or a bunch of the same starting load, it can be real helpful in letting you know when the barrel is broken in. My method is the same for all my rifles (one is a Christensen). Shoot, clean, rinse and repeat. I look for the velocity to stabilize and see how quickly the barrel comes clean after each shot. All barrels are different, but it hasn't taken over 20 rounds to be done. Your barrel will be fully broken in somewhere between 50-100 rounds. Expect velocity to increase when this happens.

Arpho-- you have a real good round- I believe you will have better shooting with reloader 23 and 26 in the AI. I used 22 because i cannot get the others now. I think I uses 60 gr of 22 with the 160 AB and 3050 was the speed . I think tht to get this with 4350 and Imr 4831 you pressure is going to be a bit high.. again once you improve the 280 now you have a true magnum. and they like powders the same as the 7mm magnums..

Arpho-- you have a real good round- I believe you will have better shooting with reloader 23 and 26 in the AI. I used 22 because i cannot get the others now. I think I uses 60 gr of 22 with the 160 AB and 3050 was the speed . I think tht to get this with 4350 and Imr 4831 you pressure is going to be a bit high.. again once you improve the 280 now you have a true magnum. and they like powders the same as the 7mm magnums..
Yea, that's my slow deer load at 2850. I mostly shoot 175 Nosler ablr and 180 Berger hybrids at 2800. I don't shoot anything but hodgdon extreme powders. I will take my chances with h4350 with 5 fps extreme spread and low SD. I know several guys that I shoot with that have problems getting H4350 to shoot in their 280 Ackley and 284 Winchester but their rifles are throated shorter. They are amazed at the accuracy and low extreme spread in my rifles with that particular powder. To be more specific, I shoot h4350 in 4 calibers (284, 280ackley, 6.5x47 and 300wsm). I also intend to start with it in a 7 saum with .200 freebore as soon as it gets a chamber. I built it in a long action Bighorn with a 26 inch proof. I have several buddies that are playing with reloader 23 and 26 and the speeds are good but I am sticking to the h4350 until I cannot get any.

Yea, that's my slow deer load at 2850. I mostly shoot 175 Nosler ablr and 180 Berger hybrids at 2800. I don't shoot anything but hodgdon extreme powders. I will take my chances with h4350 with 5 fps extreme spread and low SD. I know several guys that I shoot with that have problems getting H4350 to shoot in their 280 Ackley and 284 Winchester but their rifles are throated shorter. They are amazed at the accuracy and low extreme spread in my rifles with that particular powder. To be more specific, I shoot h4350 in 4 calibers (284, 280ackley, 6.5x47 and 300wsm). I also intend to start with it in a 7 saum with .200 freebore as soon as it gets a chamber. I built it in a long action Bighorn with a 26 inch proof. I have several buddies that are playing with reloader 23 and 26 and the speeds are good but I am sticking to the h4350 until I cannot get any.
3shots from the 6.5x47 at 2800 with 140 hybrid and 5 shots in the 280 Ackley with 175 ABLR at 2800. 100 yard groups with less than 10 extreme spread

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-144321.png
    Screenshot_20200327-144321.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20200327-144340.png
    Screenshot_20200327-144340.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 122
Do you have a chronograph?? If so, and you're breaking the barrel in with factory ammo or a bunch of the same starting load, it can be real helpful in letting you know when the barrel is broken in. My method is the same for all my rifles (one is a Christensen). Shoot, clean, rinse and repeat. I look for the velocity to stabilize and see how quickly the barrel comes clean after each shot. All barrels are different, but it hasn't taken over 20 rounds to be done. Your barrel will be fully broken in somewhere between 50-100 rounds. Expect velocity to increase when this happens.
Great another reason I should get a chronograph.....what a terrible predicament.

Yes. I chronograph all my loads. the 280 AI shoots all bullets about 50 fps slower than the 7mm remington magnum. in other words the is really no difference. It is a real long range weapon.
I know you can get the velocity with Imr 4350 but at higher pressure. when I reload I look for two things velocity and pressure. I like pressure under 50.000 CUP in regular cases and under 53,000 CUP in belted cases. I think the normal pressure for a 30/06 is 48.500 PSI. if you are measuring in psi add 11,000. I am sure the 280AI will like H 1000-IMR 7828-reloader 22-reloader 25- but not h 870 which is the best in the 7mm magnum but the 280AI does not have the case capicity for it. one way to tell too much pressure is flat primers with a bit of catering around the fireing pin- another is a bright spot where the extractor button is if this is there you have too much powder.
I also Mike my cases before and after in custom rifle barrel, this will tell you about your chamber in a case where you have a larger chamber which is not a problem you just adjust you charge and usually you can get a bit more fps.

Since you are talking about shooting solids, and there isn't much data out there in the world here are my results in 280AI + 155GR Hammer + 22" Barrel.

I abandoned this because it was obvious I wasn't going to get them going as fast as I wanted with that powder in my 22" barrel. Might revisit this with RL26 at some point, now that I have a jug of it.
38AD0833-4329-4FCE-83E3-CC251A04066D.jpeg

Since you are talking about shooting solids, and there isn't much data out there in the world here are my results in 280AI + 155GR Hammer + 22" Barrel.

I abandoned this because it was obvious I wasn't going to get them going as fast as I wanted with that powder in my 22" barrel. Might revisit this with RL26 at some point, now that I have a jug of it. View attachment 184205
you may step down to the 143 hammer especially with a 22 inch tube I had good speed with rl 23

I abandoned this because it was obvious I wasn't going to get them going as fast as I wanted with that powder in my 22" barrel. Might revisit this with RL26 at some point, now that I have a jug of it. View attachment 184205
I'd switch to RL23. I know Steve at Hammer Bullets prefers and recommends that powder unless you have a longer barrel to get the full burn of RL26. You'll be happy with velocity, too.

I'd switch to RL23. I know Steve at Hammer Bullets prefers and recommends that powder unless you have a longer barrel to get the full burn of RL26. You'll be happy with velocity, too.

I don't buy it. I have a great load with RL26 and 168 LRAB. .5 MOA, 2900 FPS Single digit SD and ES. If all that powder isn't burning I would not expect such great results.