280 ackley improved propellant (need advice)

Did you test any of the Alliant that are advertised as temp stable?
Yep R23
I was kind of let down as I bought 8lbs of it hoping it would be as good as advertised, but it just wasn't. Of course, I can say the same about Enduron, they made that stuff sound like it was the best ever and I tried two different ones of those. But basically what I learned was for whatever brand of "temp stable" powder it is, they use the same additives for all of that brand's temp stable powder so both IMR Endurons had the same fall off, and all the Hodg I've tested have about the same fall off.

Just to let you guys know what started all this testing and why I only hunt with temp stabile powders now. I had a chance to take a good buck and a nice bull one morning on the same hillside on public land. They where about 500 yards apart but both shots would have been around 600 for me. We watched them until dark and went to bed with great anticipation. That night it turned really cold and when we started hiking down the next morning to get into position it was -15F. When I shot the elk my 300wby did not act normal or sound right. My brother watching through the spotting scope ask "what was that". I pulled the bolt, looked down the barrel, all clear. Loaded another round and the same happened. The primer was firing but the powder just wasn't burning (MRP) completely. I had left the rifle and ammo in the cold truck all night afraid if I didn't the scope might fog at the crucial moment. Never thought the ammo wouldn't fire. I had been told that MRP was as close to what WBY factory ammo is loaded with, but I can tell you it's not. I've taken several elk and deer with WBY ammo at those same temps with no problems.

This is the first I've heard somebody complain RL23 wasnt stable, it's worked just fine for me.

280ai is a fine round and I'd suggest H1000, my brother's doesn't shoot it well so he's burning up my RL23.
This is the first I've heard somebody complain RL23 wasnt stable, it's worked just fine for me.
Never said it wasn't stable, up to 100fps fall off is acceptable to some just not me. I mean we can be talking about 250fps or more for none temp stable powders. Sorry to hurt your feeling, I didn't realize you owned stock in Alliant.

280ai is a fine round and I'd suggest H1000, my brother's doesn't shoot it well so he's burning up my RL23.

Never said it wasn't stable, up to 100fps fall off is acceptable to some just not me. I mean we can be talking about 250fps or more for none temp stable powders. Sorry to hurt your feeling, I didn't realize you owned stock in Alliant.
Explain falloff, no hurt feelers.

Explain falloff, no hurt feelers.
The numbers I posted were the difference between muzzle velocity at 80F and 0F. For some powders it was 25fps slower for others it was up to 100fps slower. For some non-temp stable, it was 200fps. That's a whole lot of difference when trying to find the correct dope for long shots in cold weather.

The numbers I posted were the difference between muzzle velocity at 80F and 0F. For some powders it was 25fps slower for others it was up to 100fps slower. For some non-temp stable, it was 200fps. That's a whole lot of difference when trying to find the correct dope for long shots in cold weather.

Your findings are interesting comparatively speaking to what others have found.....100fps from 80f-0f is HUGE!

A well known FTR shooter tested RL23 from 88f-8f, ten shot groups with the same rifle, same lot of powder/bullets/primers and only had a 21fps difference from top to bottom.

R23 is proving to be a great choice for 280 AI.

If temp stable is the biggest concern then H4350and H1000 are said to be the most stable

Time for 2 different loads, for hot weather and for cold weather. 45°F+ and one for colder than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.