280 Ackley Improved load info

freebird63

Anyone have good load data on this caliber? Am not sure what the barrel twist rate is yet, but it does have a 26" douglas barrel. Sounds like this is suppose to be a pretty good little caliber, will mostly be using it for mule deer and maybe if I ever get to feeling better will try it out for elk. But for now just mule deer. Thanks for any info.

No one wants to share any load data for this caliber??? Why is it some loads I have seen show them using federal 210 primers and other loads show them using federal 215M primers????
I have not made up my mind about bullets, I see the 139gr, 140gr, 154gr, 160gr, 162gr and 168gr. I don't think I want to use 180gr bullets as it looks like they lose velocity pretty fast.
I am hoping to stay with hodgdon extreme powder line cause the temps can be extreme here in Idaho.

I had real good accuracy with my 280AI using H4831sc and 140 gr Nosler BT's and AB's. Mine also shot Berger 168 VLD's real well also. I used the F210GMM prime in most of my loads.

thank you buttermilk, I had read somewhere else that the person tried 215 primers and it showed too much pressure so they backed down to 210 primers, wished I hadn't bought so many 215 primers last year. At least this year it looks like there are a few more primers available. I am not sure yet if I want to shoot the 140gr AB or the 168 Bergers????? would like to be able to stay right around 3000 fps, if thats possible.

I've been really happy with 59 grains of H4831sc, 162 amaxs with WLR primers and getting the velocity you're looking for. I could probably go higher, but not going to sacrifice the accuracy I'm getting for a few more fps..........I love this round, good luck

M700 Hart #5 flutted 24" barrel chambered in 280 AI

160 gr AB
60.0 grs RL 22
Nosler case
Federal GM215M primer
MV3019 fps
280AI.jpg

JD338

JD338

That is one sweet lookin rig. Seems to shoot even sweeter.

I hope to someday build a 280 Ackley.

If you don't mind me askin, where abouts are you in western Michigan?

Try 63.0 grains of Retumbo and a 168 grain Berger Hunting VLD and a primer of your choice either reg. or mag. This shoots very well out of a 26" Pac-Nor 3 groove 1:9 twist barrel .

Thank you forest as I was wondering what I was gonna do with just under 8lbs of retumbo left over from the ultra mag. Those 168 bergers seem to shoot awesome for the best of the west boys. I have been trying to decide between 160gr accubond, 162gr A-Max, 162gr SST, 162gr hornady match or 168gr berger. I emailed Walt but they don't have any data for any of the ackley rounds. So he just said to work with the 280 data and start low. I appreciate everyones help here and yes thats a sweet lookin gun JD. Hope mine shoots as nice as yours.

You might also want to try the 180's as they shoot good too but for myself if I want to go to the 180-200grain 7mm projectiles I have the 7mm ultra mag. The 168's work perfectly on game remember that the Bergers are designed to go in about 2" and then expand so you'll get a little entrance wound and about a little bigger than baseball size exit wound with lots of damage in between! I wouldn't hessitate on using them on Elk ,Moose or Bear as long as the distance of shot is within reason 600yrds.

Forrest--are you getting close to 3000fps with that load? I've got a 280 AI waiting for me and it's got a 26" bbl too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.