280 ackley improved propellant (need advice)

Joshlee9986

I am about to bring home a 280 ai on a rem 709 action with a 24 inch barrel. I was planning to shoot 162gr ELD-X and 160gr accubonds. I need a temp stable powder due to crazy temp shifts here. Trying to get good velocities out of it as well. What's the "go to" 280 ai powder? I apologize if this has been asked 1000 times. I do appreciate any advice!

Another vote for H4831 (or H4831SC) here. With the Berger 168 vld's, Nosler brass and Federal 210's mine regularly shoots half moa or better at 200 yards. Velocity on the load is a mild 2830-2840 fps, but is consistently accurate.

I'll be the oddball....H4350 or RL16 with that barrel length and bullet weight... you won't be giving up much, to very little in velocity. Temp stability will be on par as well.

I've also tested several that are not advertized as temp stabile in: Accurate, Hodg, Norma, RL, IMR,
They where all 100fps+ with Norma MRP being the worst.
Forgot I tested Ramshot Magnum also.

I'll be the oddball....H4350 or RL16 with that barrel length and bullet weight... you won't be giving up much, to very little in velocity. Temp stability will be on par as well.

I agree. I fought H4831 SC endlessly. H4350 was an instant success.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.