28 Nosler neck turn or not?

Thanks a ton for all the info Bullet Bumper I'm gonna save this for future reference cus I don't think I'm to the point of playing with it just yet.

Now the question I have is how can I accurately determine the neck size of my chamber and the clearance I have and how much I could skim off the necks before it becomes too much? Can I measure fired case necks and compare them to loaded rounds and figure add .001 for the brass springback? For example if the case neck of my fired round is .002 bigger than my loaded round I have a clearance of .003? At what point is clearance getting to be too much, .003-.005 or more?

Thanks again

Thanks a ton for all the info Bullet Bumper I'm gonna save this for future reference cus I don't think I'm to the point of playing with it just yet.

Now the question I have is how can I accurately determine the neck size of my chamber and the clearance I have and how much I could skim off the necks before it becomes too much? Can I measure fired case necks and compare them to loaded rounds and figure add .001 for the brass springback? For example if the case neck of my fired round is .002 bigger than my loaded round I have a clearance of .003? At what point is clearance getting to be too much, .003-.005 or more?

Thanks again
You don't need to measure your chamber if it's a factory chamber . Just skim turn the necks to about a 75% cleanup. What this means is not all the neck circumference needs to be turned . You are trying to keep as much thickness as possible but straighten up the neck . Then once you have your skim turned neck organize for partial neck sizing and never ever size the lower part of the neck again . That slight bulge at the lower part of the neck after the first firing makes the case neck act like it's in a tight neck chamber . So any extra clearance you created by skim turning is negated . It's all in that documentation i wrote .

Anything leading to more sizing is not free. More sizing is not free.
If you turn necks to cause more downsizing requirement, regardless of the length of that sizing, it is still more sizing.
Tension is that length sized, springing back against bearing. An excess amount of each downsizing/cycling affects this, as it changes brass elasticity.

Keep in mind that tension does matter. Variance in it does affect results, even in a factory hunting gun. So we should do our part to reduce the AMOUNT of what LENGTH of neck we size, striving to maintain desired tension.
You will never prove, and nobody ever has, that normal runout matters to results from a sloppy chamber. Don't fixate on what doesn't really matter, just because others do -where it actually does.

You obliviously don not understand the process at all. There is no extra sizing in fact quite the opposite stop trying to derail what you don't understand.

Not really tying to 'derail' the choices we have.
But $500 more scope might advance capabilities further than a neck turning system(including motor, die/mandrels, and measurement), while working around a need for any turning.

You may not be trying but you sure are derailing . You don't understand the system that is obvious by your post .

On the understanding part, neck turning, including skim turns, isn't rocket science.
What I missed some how is the context of your advice for the OP: skim turning only, with partial length sizing. Good advice. If he chooses to turn that is the best advice.
I'm sorry for muddling it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.