Neck turn ??

Weezer

After the second loading on a 6.5x284 started to get some pressure signs and dropped back on powder charge still noticed that a bullet fits pretty snug in a fired case. This Norma brass and my loaded necks are.293-.294 and fired ones are .294-.295. Do need to start buying some neck turning tools? Any suggestions? Thanks, Weezer

Last edited:
What were the presure signs ? primer flat ? ejector mark ? What reamer was used to chamber the barrel ? a no turn neck should be .297 ish ..... seems alot guys run .002 - .003 clearance per side... So a loaded round should run .291-.294 ish.... If you do decide to turn necks make sure you turn to the shoulder and not just as far as the bullet is seated...

Last edited:
I was getting ejector marks part of the time, the barrel is a McGowen with a Norma chambering. Best I can tell the neck wall is .015-.016

Last edited:
" This Norma brass and my loaded necks are.293-.294 and fired ones are .294-.295."

First thing to understand is the fired cases have expanded to the chamber wall and sprung back at least a thou. Meaning you have more clearance than it seems when measuring your loaded and fired cases. It's obvious that you do have a tight but safe chamber. Many accuracy buffs pay a lot of bucks to obtain that, others would kill to have yours.

That said, it's also clear that if you get sloppy careless with your cases and loads you could easily get a pinched bullet and damage your rifle.

That said, I like to use neck turning tools for my more sloppy factory chambers and conventional brass just to even things up a bit, so....why not you?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.