270WSM which powder?

Dust270WSM

Hey guys and gals, I have a Sako 270WSM I am reloading for and was wondering what powder ya'll reccommend? I will be shooting 140 grain Bergers. It has a 1-11" twist.

I have read in a couple manuals H4350 and H4831SC are a couple good powders. I am wanting one where if I get it grouping in 80 degrees it won't change in deer season when its 30 to 40 degrees. Plan on using it from 0 to 800 yards.

Retumbo has been good for me using the 140 gr bullets, I tryed a little R17 and could not get any accuracy, I'm going to revisit it after hunting season along with Magpro.
I had just enough H1000 to shoot a couple groups and it shot very well. The Retumbo has been temp stable from -10 to 85 degrees, I'm suspecting that the H1000 might be just a touch better but there was none on the shelf when I was load developing, now there is no Retumbo but H1000, go figure :rolleyes:.
My Savage has a 1-11 twist and I had the 140 bergers shooting very well, then got a new box and now they aren't as consistant, I had to move my seating die .005 out to get the same depth. The best bullet has been the 140 Accubond, very consistant shooting.

Buy the H 1000 and never look back. My 270 WSM Featherweight loves the stuff.
Most accurate load is 150 SGK 2950 fps with H1000 over CCI 200.

Enjoy.

just my .02

I've been using Reloader 19 since I got my .270 WSM. I would really like to try Reloader 17 but can never find data for this cartridge that beats the Reloader 19 data. The one load on Alliant's website with a 130 grain bullet can be achieved by a boat load of other powders.

I've been using Reloader 19 since I got my .270 WSM. I would really like to try Reloader 17 but can never find data for this cartridge that beats the Reloader 19 data. The one load on Alliant's website with a 130 grain bullet can be achieved by a boat load of other powders.

The only way to know how it works in your rifle is to try it. In my 300 WSM and 25-06, my results were about 100 fps higher than Alliants data with a slightly higher allowable max charge.

Mark

I almost got 100fps more with R-17 over max published data using 150gr bullet for the 270WSM. I had good luck with Mag-Pro,H-1000 and afew other before switching to R-17.

I've seen some good stuff with R17 but in my 270WSM with 140's I get pressure signs at 58gr with low velocity and very poor accuracy, mine does not like it but Magpro was mild and getting velocity around 3400fps, Retumbo runs around 3341 with excellent accuracy.
I started with the 150gr load for 140's and R17 locked me up with the first shot and took a little effort to work the bolt. It was real good in a 250AI though.

I like the Hodgdon extreme powders and H-4350 is a great powder in this caliber. I have used it with 140 AB's and 150 Partitions both with excellent results. Our hunting takes us from close to 100 degrees down to the 30's and have never had to change loads. Just do your work up loads in the warmer season and keep an eye on things.

Some of the posts show good results with H-1000 but I haven't tried it. You may give that a try as well and see what it does. It may even give better velocities.

I have a Sako75-stainless .270WSM and theese are my (personal) best loads:

- H4831 x 65.00 grs.
- Accubond 130 grs.
- Remington case
- Fed.GM215M
- 73.00 mm. Hoal
- 3.000 fps.

note: this is not a very fast load ... but i had the best accuracy ... Roe-deer go down "frozen" ! .. with this load i had average 0.43" on 3 rounds (at 185 yds. ... i have max. this distance in my shooting range)

With the same components and data, changing only the bullet (Sierra MK135 grs. hpbt), i had the best accuracy 0.32"- 3 rounds at 185 yds. with less speed (2.960) ... but i never shoot SierraMK in Hunting action, only to the paper-target.

.. I used the Accubond130 in Hungary, last winter, there was -10° outside ... absolutely no problems ! ..(4 Roe-Deer, from min. distance 165 yds. to max. distance 285 yds.) .. standing erect, helping by a three ... or sitting with the rifle on the back-pack ... believe me is not easy ...

This is my little experience, .... hope this help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.