270wsm/mcmillan hunter/ which lilja barrel?

slg888

Appreciate any suggestions on my current rifle build. Its a 270wsm,mcmillen stock,ect. This is going to be my canada {walk 1 mile to treestand} deer rifle and wanted some opinions on which lilja contour for a 24" 270wsm? Ive been back & forth from a #4 -#5-#6 fluted/non fluted. Any opinions would help, Thanks

here is the lilja chart Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Barrel Contour Data

I built a 264 win mag on a # 6 lilja contour last year (27 1/4" long). My rig weighed 12.5 lbs with scope (black diamond) and manners stock. I would suggest the # 5 for a hunting rifle if you are hiking a lot. I walk 2 miles in from the top and 2.5 miles out the bottom everyday for my elk hunt and it is not bad with the #6 contour.

You need to decide if this is a dedicated long range rifle or a stalk hunting rifle. If it is a hunting rifle go with the #4 or #5 if it is a long range rifle go with the heavier contour.

I shot a .5" group at 200 yards with my gun

I recently went with a bartlein barrel for my 338 edge. You may want to look at them as well.

Food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.