270WSM What powder to start with…?

Full Curl

I've checked all my manuals and seem to have narrowed it down to the following for sending a 140gr Accubond down the tunnel:

MagPro
RL19
RL22
H1000
IMR4350

I've also read about RL17 on this forum but don't see it listed in any of my manuals… might be too new.

Just looking for a good, accurate, consistent hunting load for a range of temps.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

H4831 or 4831SC is a good powder for the WSM families and available everywhere. Also an "extreme" powder.

I've checked all my manuals and seem to have narrowed it down to the following for sending a 140gr Accubond down the tunnel:

MagPro
RL19
RL22
H1000
IMR4350

I've also read about RL17 on this forum but don't see it listed in any of my manuals… might be too new.

Just looking for a good, accurate, consistent hunting load for a range of temps.

Not .270 WSM but with .300 WSM, as always YMMV but sharing my experience with 215 Berger for what it is worth. Below are the powders I used to find the best accuracy and velocity mix in order of performance ...

RL-17
Magpro
H4831SC
IMR7828SSC
H1000
H4350

Note: Others are having very good success with RL-26. I have a couple of lbs but have not have personal experience with them yet.

Good luck!

MagPro
RL19
RL22
H1000
IMR4350

What gun are you shooting ? H4350 is good but if you want added speed then try to get your hand on some RL17 or 26. I have a rem 700 and I shoot the 140AB @3190 fps and it shoots half MOA out to 500 yards . RL17 gave me a little more speed 3250fps but shooting them at 3190 lined up better with my Z800 reticle.

I'm also shooting a Rem 700. Accuracy is more important to me than speed with this caliber. Thank you to all that have posted their experiences and recommendations.

Thanks Moman. Yes I have. I also have their most recent manual. Good selection of powders like you said, I was just wondering if a couple really stand out for people who have a lot of experience with this caliber.

Also, I know that the Hodgden Extreme powders do well with temp sensitivity which is why I like them in many of my other calibers that I use for hunting purposes. How about the Reloader powders or MagPro, any temp issues there that would make them not the best choice for hunting? I don't have a lot of experience with Reloader powders.

I have used all the powders you listed in my Nosler m48 270wsm except R22.
They all work well. Magpro is very accurate but temp sensitive above 70 degrees.
I am mostly shooting the 150 VLD, but have loads for 140 AB, 150 LRAB, 140 TSX,
129 LRX, 130 TTSX. H1000 also shines with the 150 VLD, R19 and IMR 4350 for the Barnes and 140 AB, H4831SC with the 150 LRAB. Good Luck!

I have used almost all the powder that you have listed in my 270WSM. MY most accurate load with a 140 Nosler Accubond was with IMR-4350. I have been able to get almost as good of accuracy with RL-22 but more speed. Of course I have used H4350. I just was never able to get it to shoot as accurately as IMR-4350

Lately I have been working with the 150 Berger VLD. With this bullet I have used IMR-7977. This combination has given me great accuracy and speed. IMR-7977 is supposed to be more temp stable than either RL-22 or IMR-4350.

I found RL 22 to work very well, with 140 or 130 gr bullets. Your OAL may be the governing factor in finding tight groups though, just sayin',

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.