What to start out with

outdooraddict

What should I get for starting out reloading? Is the master supreme kit from rcbs good? I am looking at getting a 338 edge and want to be able to reload myself so I can quit asking buddys to do it for me. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas

What should I get for starting out reloading? Is the master supreme kit from rcbs good? I am looking at getting a 338 edge and want to be able to reload myself so I can quit asking buddys to do it for me. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas

I started with that load but you will need a few things like Calipers, Powder Trickle, Bullet Puller, various tools to gauge bullet depth, and a good bench...

Take Care
jason
The New Mexico Sportsman

For the big magnums I'd say your best bet would be a Lee Classic Cast press, has the larger window and ram stroke, IMO probably the best buy for a single stage press. I wouldn't get a kit though, the lee Powder measures just aren't very good, serviceable but not very good. Go with a RCBS or Lyman powder measure and if you have the means, a power trimmer is a heck of a time and hand saver.

OK, so a Lee press, lyman electronic scale and measurer and a lyman electric trimmer what else do I need. I think I finally decided on a 300rum for now.

I started with a lee annaversary kit 15 years ago. There isn't anything wrong with the cheap lee powder dispenser. you have to weigh every load w/ a scale anyway. I would recamend a RCBS or a Redding press. There are alot of choices in dies but I would seariously consider getting custom dies made so you will only slightly resize the cases and increase accuracy volume and life of the cases. Otherwise just get RCBS or Redding dies IMHO.

A Forster, Lyman or RCBS manual trimmer will do the job just fine. Calaper, deburing tool, primer pocket trueing tool, tumbler for cleaning cases, Lee or RCBS priming tool, and a primer deburing tool. This is just a list of tools that I consider beneficial. Good luck, Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.