270 wsm, RL 33, and the 165 matrix. Surprising results

Hey CALHUNTER805,
Let me know if you are still have accuracy issues with your 270 wsm, I may be able to help. Some of these rounds like to run fast.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

This gun is as factory as you can get. Winchester model 70 black shadow. The only pearl it has is a Timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs and a one of a kind assassin brake that Jerry made special of this gun. We have loaded them to factory specs and haven't even tried going to the lands. We were after velocity so the farther back we seated the bullet the better it liked it which of course is a winner winner chicken dinner for speed freaks. The load is compressed but is as accurate as the is long.

71.3 was the tip of the top. I figured I was really pressing my luck working up higher than that so we left it. My 12 year old Zayne has shot 100-300 yards with very good accuracy. I'm still trying to figure out how accurate the beta chrony is before I list velocities but it looks at or around 3000 fps. We did stay at factory length to fit more than one in the mag if he needs it. He's shooting Norma brass and it seems to be holding up very well. We will have to anneal brass more often now, but well worth it!!

Thanks for the reply, I just got some RL33 in to test after deer season here. But I'm really excited about your results. I'm hoping to add some velocity to my rifle with RL33

Looks like the current load, which is the most accurate, pushes the 165 matrix at or slightly above 3000. Pretty amazing when you concider that little brass, all that powder, and the large heavy bullet. We will find out more data when he shoots his antelope here in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking into specs for a 270 WSM LW rig for next year after my 280 AI is done. I'm really looking hard at the 165's for my all around load. I'll likely run a 150 partition when I'm near anything that likes to bite back. That still gets me out to 600-800 pretty easy for longer shots.

Does anyone have any terminal performance reports with the 165 on game? I know Big has posted a bit about elk just dropping. How does it work on smaller game? This will likely be a sheep gun given the opportunity. I'll likely try to hover around 2800-2900 fps to be easy on the set up since you really don't need to push it to the max for my application. Can the 165 be a go to load for any game, or is it better suited for larger stuff?

We are headed to Wyoming with Riley for some fast paced speed goat action. My son will be shooting the 165 so we should have some performance reports when we come back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.