270 win 165 matrix

1984nitro

So I know there have been people out there working with 165 matrix in the 270 win hoping they can help. I worked with these bullets a few years back and wasn't seeing the velocity I want so I discontinued and when with 150 sst with good results. I have recently can back to the 165. I am running a 1/10" 26" barrel with 52.5 gn of RL-17 with mag primers. I'm getting an avg of 2919 fps over 10 shots. I am not concern with the grouping. The vertical was .63" and the hozontal was 1.2" with gusting 10/15 mph winds. I feel on a better day and better sd the group with shrink. My concern is the es of 62 and ad of 20. I feel this is in my case prep and reloading. I have turned all my necks, clean the primer pockets, weight each powder load. I have foster neck sizing dies. I load to mag length. I was wondering if I need to anneal the case,or play with the oal, or change the powder load +/- .2 grns?

Have you thought about using a different and a slower burning powder? RL 17 may be a little bit fast for that bullet...

I ran some .277 cal 165 Matrix with RL-26, looks very promising. Will work on that load some more. You could try that, I had pretty good velocity.

I am also going to try IMR 7977 / H1000. I was working with QuickLOAD today and I found .270WIN 165Matrix loaded at 58.5grains shows 55.3Kpsi at 3.435 OAL produces 2869fps. (simulated in QL)

I plan on using that as a starting load for IMR 7977 / H1000 and working up.

I think I can reasonably fit 60grains H1000 under the 165Matrix, but I am starting at 58.5grains and working up to it. Need to be safe, not sure where I will hit pressure.

Sounds you guys are getting some good results with the slower powder. I have been using the rl17 because I have it. I was getting early pressure with h4831 with 2700 fps +/-. I am running moly on the bullets which is the first time for this barrel. I run it on my 308 and 220 swift AI with good results. Do you think this could cause the high sd?

I got good accuracy with 7828 SSC, and MagPro around 2850fps...in my Weatherby (Howa) 1-10 twist with the 24" barrel...Did not have H1000 at the time....

Sounds you guys are getting some good results with the slower powder. I have been using the rl17 because I have it. I was getting early pressure with h4831 with 2700 fps +/-. I am running moly on the bullets which is the first time for this barrel. I run it on my 308 and 220 swift AI with good results. Do you think this could cause the high sd?

High SD ?...Primer? How are you measuring your powder? Neck sizing or full length? Good quality Chrono?

Well, I anneled the cases, change the charge slightly. And double checked my brass prep. So I neck turn, uniform primer pockets, neck size with shoulder bump, weigh each charge, moly coat bullets. As I will admit rl-17 is fast it fit my need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 85
That looks good to me. I use RL17 in my 270wsm with 160 partitions with good accuracy and very good velocity. Waiting for Marshall's package of 165 matrix. Should be any day:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.