270 wsm loads

Tyler75

Does anyone have any good loads for the 270wsm? I am looking to use the Nosler 130gr e-tip. I like the Hodgdon powder. I have used the H1000, and the 4831, the hybred 100v also interests me. Any ideas would be great. It is hard to find any data on the e-tip since it is so new. Thanks for you help.

There's an article about the e tip and the 270 wsm in this month's issue of Shooting Times I believe. Has a green stocked FN rifle on the cover I think.

I think the best load(accuracy wise) they had listed was IMR7828SSC @ 3200 fps

I've been stoking 71gr of Retumbo under a 140 Accubond, going 3341 fps. After trying Retumbo I settled on it, 100V wasn,t very impressive I ran out of H1000 before getting anything productive.
I have shot it out to 1015yrd, very accurate load in my gun with very low verticle dispersion.

Hey, thanks for the info on Shooting Times.

Bigngreen, you are shooting Retumbo from your 270wsm? I was told that it burns to slow. In that short mag do you want the slower burning powder. I was under the assumption that you wanted a faster burning powder.

Sorry for the delay, just got back from a trip. I'm shooting a Savage model 12 with a 26in varmint barrel. I got the idea to use Retumbo from a local guy who shoots a 270 WSM with excellent results. The slower burning powders have yielded my best groups and velocities. I shot a little of the H1000 and it shot very good groups but ran out before I got any real load development done. The Retumbo load is running vey low ES and I have shot it from -5 dergrees to 86 degrees and had no variation in group or speed so I have settled on it till after hunting season. I tryed 100V with no luck and R17 had horrible groups but I have heard alot about it being the short mag. powder so I need to do some more work over a crony, I think I may have had them to fast to group well.
It seems eather they really like something or they don't. I have also only been shooting the 140 gr bullets I think the 130's may like something a little faster.
I would rock the H1000 since you already have it.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.