270 WSM hunting load help

djtjr

Guys what are you using?* I see a lot of threads started with not a lot of people answering.* Any help would be appreciated.* Looking for a load mostly for deer and sheep sized game but anything up to and including elk would be perfect.
It will be a mid to long range gun 6-800 yds if that helps with bullet selection.

My hunting load out of my 270 WSM was:

140 Gr. Nosler Accubond
60.0 Grains RL-22
Fed 215 Primer
OAL 2.85" (Mag length in Tikka T3)

I've taken 2 WY black bears with this load and both only went 30 yards at most after the shot.

I have two different loads using 140 grain Nosler Accubonds. One is loaded with 60.5 grains of IMR-4350 and the other is loaded with a max load of RL-22., Both are in Norma cases and are fired using WLRM primers. I am now working on a load with 150 grain VLD Bergers and IMR-7828. This latest load has not been fully developed so I will not give the specifics.

This caliber isn't as popular around here, probably due to the lack of high BC bullets. It's still hard to beat as a deer gun out to 600-800 yards though, and it's my personal choice for just that. I've had my best luck with 140 grain accubonds and a stiff load of Mag Pro.

I really like Retumbo in my 270 WSM's down to a 140 gr bullet, usually around 70-71 will be max with the 140, around 68 with the 150. I haven't shot anything other than the 165 or 175 Matrix VLD's since they came out and I run 66gr with the 165 and 64 gr with the 175, I always start with book min loads and work up but this is where I usually end up.
With your twist rate and elevation the 165 Matrix may work, may not, IMO it's worth a try as they are excellent long range hunting bullets, BC running .650 ish I've taken number of elk and deer out past 900 yards easily, they are very impressive on elk!
There are 4 270 cal bullets with a BC .650-.703, all very effective and amazing hammers but unless you have some elevation a 10 twist will be marginal, we have bullets now we need to get manufactures to twist in a 9 twist with the WSM so everyone can benefit!

Just to add, I've shot a lot of 140 Accubonds running them 3350 fps and they will start having opening issues at around 500 yards on deer, I've dug a couple of them out of the ground AFTER going through deer and expansion was getting minimal, elk they open very nice on! The 150 ALR would be very nice BUT again it's needing more twist also!

Last edited:
In your application I would use a 150 grain bullet, I have used the SST with good results, or a Nosler BT. Or step down to a 140 Accubond and you should still get all you need. Or a matrix or Berger as well.

Use a bullet that YOU are confident in, and you should have good results. There are other brands, but those I have used. I like the heavy for caliber SST up to elk sized game in the 270 and 7mm.

Powder, really a lot of options if it is available(not hard to get in your area). Once I'm over 140 grains I stay slower than 4350 or RL-17. If I had my choice I would try the new RL-23 and RL-26. But any brand of powder that you like with burn rate between RL-17 and MagPro should work. Some people are very brand loyal, but some powders are temp sensitive as well. I have used Win 780 and H4831, and used RL-17 as well. But you get the idea.

Get yourself some AA-3100 and start with 61.0 and get to around 63.0 grains with Winchester magnum or standard primers in federal brass. Push the Berger 140 VLD out at around 3100 and you'll have something. Magazine length. It was one of the first loads I tried in my 270 wsm. Same load in my buddies rifle was lights out also. You can get faster but when your groups are in the 1's and 2's and 3100fps from a factory tube is plenty. If that doesn't work try r19 and 140 accubonds
-Swede

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.