270 WSM 165gr VLD load help

AlexF

Could someone help me to check my start load using Quickload.
I will be using 165 grain VLD Matrix Ballistics in a 24" barrel 270 WSM.
Winchester cases and WLRM primers.

Alex

I'm subscribing. I have some of the Matrix 165's also. I'm thinking RL17,and H4831sc.

Maybe a max of around 58grs? and around 2800 to 2950fps. Retumbo might be worth a try??

I've been very impressed with the 165 Matrix thus far!! I'm shooting them out of a 27.5 in barrel @ 3053 with 66gr of Retumbo. I have ran them up to 3100 FPS but it started stringing them out a little. The barrel is getting pulled and going in for Nitriding so until it gets back I'll have to wait to finalize some loads and drops, initial loads and drops look very encouraging! I should have some 169.5 Wildcats by then also.
I would expect a 24in barrel to be running in the 2900-2950 range, I haven't had any luck with R17 speed powders with the 140 + gr bullets and getting velocity without early pressure. I think powders in the R22 to Retumbo speed are the one's to look at with the heavier bullets. I plan on giving 4831sc a run along with H1000 again.

I would be very interested in what Quickload kicks out!!

Last edited:
I've been very impressed with the 165 Matrix thus far!! I'm shooting them out of a 27.5 in barrel @ 3053 with 66gr of Retumbo. I have ran them up to 3100 FPS but it started stringing them out a little. The barrel is getting pulled and going in for Nitriding so until it gets back I'll have to wait to finalize some loads and drops, initial loads and drops look very encouraging! I should have some 169.5 Wildcats by then also.
I would expect a 24in barrel to be running in the 2900-2950 range, I haven't had any luck with R17 speed powders with the 140 + gr bullets and getting velocity without early pressure. I think powders in the R22 to Retumbo speed are the one's to look at with the heavier bullets. I plan on giving 4831sc a run along with H1000 again.

I would be very interested in what Quickload kicks out!!

I've heard many negative comments about Retumbo: it shoots well when it's hot or when it's cold but not in between, sometimes there are fliers...
Is Retumbo a good accuracy powder? I don't care much about muzzle velocity since higher velocity equals greater recoil, but will take any "free" velocity if it comes with accuracy.

I've heard many negative comments about Retumbo: it shoots well when it's hot or when it's cold but not in between, sometimes there are fliers...
Is Retumbo a good accuracy powder? I don't care much about muzzle velocity since higher velocity equals greater recoil, but will take any "free" velocity if it comes with accuracy.

I've had good accuracy and velocity with Retumbo and it seems to be quite temp consistent as well. I have never heard of erratic behavior at normal temps and good at both extremes? I would be somewhat doubtful of that......Rich

I've had great accuracy with Retumbo, very low ES, excellent velocity and no POI change in temps from -30 to 90 plus. The only down side I've experienced is it is sooty. I get fliers with it if I used CCI primers but Fed 215's got rid of them!

That said if you don't want recoil Retumbo may not be good, everything I've loaded it in you end up filling the case with it, velocity = recoil. I use a brake on my 270 WSM and I don't worry about recoil just ranging and reading the wind.gun)

I've had great accuracy with Retumbo, very low ES, excellent velocity and no POI change in temps from -30 to 90 plus. The only down side I've experienced is it is sooty. I get fliers with it if I used CCI primers but Fed 215's got rid of them!

That said if you don't want recoil Retumbo may not be good, everything I've loaded it in you end up filling the case with it, velocity = recoil. I use a brake on my 270 WSM and I don't worry about recoil just ranging and reading the wind.gun)

Thanks, that was I expected: most of my shooting/hunting buddies are farmers who are great shooters and hunters but always try to save money on reloading components but never on rifle or scopes!
I noticed that both Sierra Reloading Manual #5 and Weatherby recommends Federal 215M for large overbore magnums to insure that the full powder load is ignited.

Any idea who would cut a 1-9 twist .277 barrel?

Any of the cut rifle barrel manufactures should be able to cut what ever twist you want. At one time Mcgowen offered a buttoned rifle barrel in 1-9 but I haven't seen it as an option for a year or so.

The 1-10 at my elevation (5612, 40*) with the 165 Matrix has a Miller stability factor of 1.49 and in a 1-9 twist a factor of 1.84 and the 1-8 a 2.33.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts