Been using IMR 4831 in my son's with good results but have been wondering about the temp stability of it compared to some of the newer "temp stable" powders. Any opinions on this or knowledge of the stability of IMR4831?

Been using IMR 4831 in my son's with good results but have been wondering about the temp stability of it compared to some of the newer "temp stable" powders. Any opinions on this or knowledge of the stability of IMR4831?
IMR is not great but if you're not shooting game animals over 400 yds, not really a concern.

Not much at big game over 400 but if a wolf presents its self it would be game on and he can dial scope to 1500 and he hits dang good to 1000 ( farthest we have had the chance to practice) as long as not much wind to dope!
We will be looking to do more Wolf hunting specifically as well.
Thanks
OP, if you are in areas where temps can swing a lot then keep this in mind đź‘Ť

20200301_071658.jpg
20200301_071704.jpg
here are two loads I worked up using the Nosler book's COAL, I shoot the LRAB 150. Everything I've shot with it has been DRT. So far my farthest shot with this particular gun has been 496.

Nice! Have you been able to recover any of the LRAB from any of the animals you have killed? Was there much left of the bullet?
Everything with the 270WSM has been pass through. I've shot deer from 70 yards to 496 and had zero fragmentation signs. I have recovered one bullet from a Mountain Goat I shot at 1000 yards though with my 300 WSM (190 LRAB). It was a pass through but knotted up in the hair.

The eldx is a great bullet, biggest thing I've found is finding that right seating depth. I ran it with rl 26 and got 3200 (max ejector Mark) with a standard 270, accuracy was never better than an inch. I grabbed a lb of imr4350 and played with the seating depth. Once I got it, I switched back to rl 26 and reworked my charges, and it shoots lights out. A 140 accubond, 140 Sierra gamechanger or 145 eldx will take the cake in the accuracy dept. best wishes, don't forget about the magpro as someone mentioned as well.
How many grains with RL-26? I was able to land some FINALLY and looking to build loads with it now since it is getting such great reviews.

The ELD-Xs should shoot better that the ABLR. Try some RL-26. I just got through working up a load for my sons 270 WSM at 2.90 COAL. I used Win Brass and it shot 3 touching at 64.0 grs but you need to work up to that load.
Picked up some RL26, Alliant website says
The ELD-Xs should shoot better that the ABLR. Try some RL-26. I just got through working up a load for my sons 270 WSM at 2.90 COAL. I used Win Brass and it shot 3 touching at 64.0 grs but you need to work up to that load.

Finally landed some RL26, you say 64g but I'm finding these max loads on the Alliant website. 67.4g 150g bullet and 69g 140g bullet.
Any experience with these sizes of load and what velocity are you getting with 64g?

I just looked on my Chrono and I got 3141 fps with 64 grs of RL-26 and Win Brass with 145 ELD=X.
I tried 65 grs and it was a little hot in my rifle at 3183 fps. SDs at 64 grs were 5.

I have a custom 270 WSM that gets 3300 fps with 145 ELD-X with Norma Brass seated longer.

Start low! Alliants loads seem to lean to the hot side.
I am not at there max with my 6.5 creed and showed pressure. Very happy with it though. Still getting 2800 FPS with 22" barrel and 143gr ELDx

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.